Thread: Band saw upgrade

Band saw upgrade

I've been looking for a larger, but not too large, band saw for a while, and one finally showed up that's a good fit.

About a mile from my house, I was able to buy, load, transport, and unload in 1 1/2 hrs- it weighs 325 & I hoisted and lashed it to the back of my van. However, this is leading to shop clean and purge that will go on for days.

Older Jet 16"- solid, quiet, remarkably simple. It cuts well but the blade is rather coarse so I'll get a different one. Paid $500 with wheel base, a couple of blades, and new tires. I wanted 120v motor to avoid having to rig another circuit- limited breaker space.

It's replacing a 14" Delta that I got out of a dumpster (!) at the local high school. It was only missing a couple of guide bearings and works great but only 6" resaw height.

I also have a Powermatic 14" set up for curve and utility cuts.

IMG_4986.jpegIMG_4987.jpegIMG_3079.jpeg

Nice score. 500 bucks is a really, really good deal imho.

Blog Entries
    Nice! Congratulations!
    I have damaged my 14" w/ riser by forcing it to do work better suited for a saw like your Jet. A bigger bandsaw is on my list. I hope to never be without my 14".

Congratulations! And what a deal!

I too was recently looking for a bandsaw and about 75% of what I saw on the used market near me was people asking full retail price for their used models. I guess they thought you saved on shipping? Or maybe they thought the pandemic was still going on and you couldn't buy new anymore. I don't know. Either way, that's a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    Congratulations! And what a deal!

I too was recently looking for a bandsaw and about 75% of what I saw on the used market near me was people asking full retail price for their used models.
    This has been my experience as well. Pawn shops, flea markets, Craigslist, FB Marketplace: Lots of people selling used stuff at full retail prices. Still don't understand it.