Thread: Cherry end table

Cherry end table

I had a form from a previous project so I thought I’d see how a bent lamination end table would look. I also had a piece of crotch cherry in the rack. So I built this end table. It’s all made from thin strips of cherry that I was given years ago. Other than the glue it really was made from materials that I’ve had in the rack for 15 years. Finished with Arm-R-Seal. I mixed a bit of gel stain in with the Arm-R-Seal as a toner to tame down some of the sap wood in the base.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Very nice. You should be justifiable proud.

Best, Patrick

Nice! Is the extra thickness in the legs by the feet structural, or just for appearance?

I especially like the frame to attach the top (I’m not sure if it has a name). It looks like it could be used for a drafting table.

The legs are curved and taper smaller at the top. They are attached with a tusk tenon and a key wedge on the bottom. This construction is usually used in knock down tables and benches but I like the looks so I used them here. However I did glue everything, so the wedges are just ornamental. The wedges are oak and were originally planned just as temporary wedges to be used to hold it all together as the glue dried I had planned to then replace them with maple wedges, died black. I also intended them to be “imperfect” to look hand carved. But in the end I just glued the oak ones in place and finished them with the rest of the table. I’m not really satisfied and wish I’d gone the black maple route. But it is as it is now.
    Too small for a drafting table though.
    The Plane Anarchist

I like it!

smt

Leigh, it has an original, distinct, somewhat organic feeling to me and I really like this project! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yeah, I was thinking organic as I was thinking of the design. Heavier on the bottom and lighter structure as it goes up, like a tree. But I was also inspired by some of the Japanese style table legs. I definitely have a few things I’d like to try on the next one, if there is a next one. SWMBO doesn’t want another small end table. Maybe a taller, narrower hall table. But only after I get the list of other projects knocked down some.
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    That's a unique design. It looks good. Nice job.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Very nice! I'm a fan of exposed, exaggerated, or decorative joinery. That table is a winner.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nicely done, excellent craftsmanship. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Love it! Any advice about doing bent laminations? I’ve always wanted to try it but wondering about process- did you have to steam them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Love it! Any advice about doing bent laminations? I’ve always wanted to try it but wondering about process- did you have to steam them?
    No steam or heat involved.
    the short version (with pics) is:

cut, plane, drum sand strips of wood.
    build a mdf form
    glue and clamp the strips in the form, overnight. 1 glue up at a time

remove and start the build process.

keep in mind that there really isn’t any straight or square surfaces. You will likely need to fixture and closely think about how to get the joints cut square and accurately.
    The Plane Anarchist