Thread: Filling pores on an oak tabletop

Filling pores on an oak tabletop

I am making a tabletop out of red oak and I want a smooth surface so my plan is to use a wood filler. Because of some ebonized detailing in the base and along the table edge, I want the pores to appear like black flecks within the walnut colored stain I will use for the top. I'm wondering what is the best way to pull this off.
    I have a Parks water-based wood filler that came tinted for red oak. I also have a vial of black Mixol dye, as well as some black Varathane wood stain. I tried tinting the filler with the Mixol and used it on a sample piece, but it turned out more gray than black. I then tried tinting the filler with the black stain to see what that would do, but it's still not what I want, and I'm concerned about mixing an oil-based stain with a water-based filler for one, and worrying about staining the table top with the black stain/filler for the other. So, to keep that staining from happening, I'm thinking of first filling the pores (once I figure out the right formula), applying 3 coats of Seal Coat, sanding it all down to bare wood, and then, with the pores filled and levelled, staining the top a walnut color and finishing it all off with a water based urethane.
    But since this is my first time trying this, I'm wondering if there is something I'm not seeing that would lead to failure. Or maybe there is a simpler way to get the look I want. Has anyone tried this before and what was the method you used?

WEST with WEST graphite bedding compound is quite black.
    I do not know if it is appropriate to your project.

The lines and the corners are true ebony.
    The infill in the burl voids is WEST/Graphite.

DSC_0037.jpg

goog Asphaltum or Gilsonite You'll get several sites that are finishing-specific.

It's roofing tar. I used to get one specific product/brand of filler to use for the pores in QSWO arts&crafts stuff. That brand discontinued the product. There are still plenty of sources and description so use out there.

If you want to go down the deepest-ever rabbit hole on components for making finishes, look at "wood finishing enterprises dot com". I get shellac flakes there, but I have no idea how to used 80% of their stuff, but I love looking.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Golf club epoxy comes in black.