Thread: Resinous oak

Resinous oak

Hello, I bought this lumber. Slovenian oak.
    It was hard ... so hard to handplane ... also because it has a lot of wild reverse grain
    IMG_20230921_192314.jpg
    Recently I bought a 15x loupe and been looking to the open grain pattern.
    As you can see in the photos is packed of resin. Is this normal?

I'm planning to make a moulding planes shelf. Shoul I put a liner between the shelf
    and the moulding planes.

The lumber has marked all my plane soles with a sort of blackish greish light layer.
    When I was planing I noticed hard to remove black marks on the blade and chipbreaker

What do you think?
    Thanks, Haisam

PXL_20240518_123021066.jpgPXL_20240518_122859788.jpg
    We get lost in the over-building and perfect material arguments that sometimes we simply loose sight of the making (Tom Fidgen)

Oak has tannins that will cause iron to rust. Simply put something under the tools. For instance you could make a tray and put a microfiber cloth in it lightly soaked with a oil (like Jojoba). Every time you put your plane on it, it would get a little oil.

Put a coat of polyurethane on it? That'll effectively seal the wood.

Old timers used to always put planes side down not bottom down in storage they were frugal and careful to not scratch them ….
    Today we have lots of old worn out tee -shirts and underwear. Hey, nice shot of the Moon and clouds !

It's possible you have Dalmatian live oak, (aka Quercus Ilex). It's prized for boatbuilding particularly because its' pores tend to be packed with resin. It's a very desirable wood for outdoor projects but could cause problems like you describe. Most people would think you very lucky if you got it for the price of common European oak.

I once stored a plane wrapped in cotton fabric. It rusted.

The 'resin' you're seeing in the pores are called tyloses. They're partially responsible for the great rot resistance of white oak, as they block the flow of water and pathogens through the heartwood.

I have a red oak cabinet for storing my planes and saws. I put down shelf liner with little perforations so the planes don’t sit directly on the oak and there is space for air to circulate. That has worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Lucas View Post
    The 'resin' you're seeing in the pores are called tyloses. They're partially responsible for the great rot resistance of white oak, as they block the flow of water and pathogens through the heartwood.
    We think of resin as coming from conifers.

Slovenian oak is Quercus robur. It is in the white oak group, and as Joshua states, has tyloses (thin membranes) which clog the pores, making it suitable for barrels and such.

I have worked Q. robur when it was unseasoned and quite wet. Tools would leave a black film on the wood and the tools become black also. The tannic acid in the wood reacts with iron on edge tools and iron planes to form iron tannate, which is black and insoluble in water. You can also see these black stains from nails on oak that is out in the weather, or around an old nail that is found in lumber.

If you have planed wet oak and there are unsightly black blotches, you can wait a day and the surface will be dry enough to be cleaned with a plane.

There is no problem with unfinished seasoned oak reacting with the iron in tools. You need a puddle to make a problem.

Thank you very much guys for all the answers
    I wanted to share with you the beauty of this wood

PXL_20240527_152912461.jpg

Cheers
    Haisam
    We get lost in the over-building and perfect material arguments that sometimes we simply loose sight of the making (Tom Fidgen)