Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam veterans....

WW2 vets have a harder time. there as a big fire of ww2 records and the VA pretty much has to take any paperwork a ww2 vet can come up with. My Civil war vet Great grandfather has better records from the va then my father did.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Jim, I have two friends that have had knee replacements in the last six months. Both of them have said that it was not as big a deal as they were expecting, you just have to faithfully do the post-surgery physical therapy. Both of them were experiencing significant discomfort pre-surgery. I’m not there..yet.
    Yea, things are "kicked up a few notches" these days, especially when you can (and should) get a surgeon that has done a "stuff"-ton of them. Many folks can go home same day if they have an early procedure and as you note, doing the PT is the key to a quality recovery. As to your own decision, pain is certainly one factor but also pay attention to functionality. While pain is usually the primary indicator, it's not exclusive when it comes to this kind of thing. You'll know when you are ready for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Bruce, current generation knee replacements are "the bee's knees", pardon the expression. They are less traumatic as only deceased material and material between the bones is removed while CT and computer technology are used to custom tailor the replacement to the specific individual. The surgery to do the replacement is also less traumatic, is generally robotic assisted because of the scans and engineering and recovery is quick. It's nothing like when my mother had hers done many years ago. Our older daughter had to have one done last year (at age 27 due to injury as a teen and her excessive weight) and that leg is like brand new.
    I have a friend who is quite overweight and his knees are so bad he says he can't walk much. His doctors won't do knee replacement until he loses a significant amount of weight. I suspect if he loses a significant amount of weight his knees will feel better, and he may not need knee replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I have a friend who is quite overweight and his knees are so bad he says he can't walk much. His doctors won't do knee replacement until he loses a significant amount of weight. I suspect if he loses a significant amount of weight his knees will feel better, and he may not need knee replacement.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^ squared and cubed

I have found that about 90% of my shoulder, neck and both upper and lower back problems were significantly lessened, and some totally eliminated, by correcting/maintaining good posture, especially when sitting.
    There are other things that help, like stretching and core strengthening exercises.
    But the easiest thing to start with, and requires absolutely no "exercise paraphernalia", is posture correction.
    The second thing I've learned from formerly overweight friends, and even friends who ended up gaining the weight back (through improper weight loss practices) is that in losing weight your joints and spine will thank you many times over (not to mention your A1C levels and BP readings).
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 05-13-2024 at 1:09 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I served 8 years and 9 days of active duty during Vietnam but never served in Vietnam thus I don't qualify for benefits.
    I thought the military considered anyone who served in the military during a time of war to be a veteran?

I thought the military considered anyone who served in the military during a time of war to be a veteran?
    Brian, they do consider anyone who served a veteran. There are, however, different types of discharges. I proudly was honorably discharged and have my DD-214. There are several types of discharges and there are different discharges for enlisted personnel and commissioned officers. https://www.military.com/benefits/mi...ry%20Discharge Benefits can also be determined by the type of discharge one receives.

It's my understanding that if someone, like myself, served during the Vietnam War but not in Vietnam, I don't qualify for medical benefits. Since the fairly recent settlement over Agent Orange, it's my understanding, due to illnesses thought to be attributed later after exposure to Agent Orange exposure, medical benefits expanded for those who served there. That is what I was trying to make Vietnam Vets aware of.

As a friend recommended, every veteran should probably register just to find out what benefits that they might quality for.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Spending too much time leaning over the computer keyboard is bad for my back, hips, knees and other stuff.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Spending too much time leaning over the computer keyboard is bad for my back, hips, knees and other stuff.
    Bill D
    Bad for eyes too.
    I heard a story on NPR today that there is an epidemic of nearsightedness among Gen Z and younger who have grown up glued to screens.
    They are now recommending that kids get out more and get involved in things like sports, spend time in the outdoors.

My first wife worked in an orthopedic practice. A lot of the knee and hip replacement patients were overweight. But there was a limit - too much overweight and they wouldn't do the surgery because of complications after surgery.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Losing the weight is an issue for our daughter because of the medications she's on for her disability. Not getting the knee replacement would have meant not being able to walk...and work. It was darn difficult to find a surgeon who would do the work both because of the weight as well as her young age, but thanks to a referral from a childhood friend of mine, we were successful. He not only replaced the knee, but spent two extra hours fixing all her ligaments so her leg is now straight. That was all a blessing for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Mother had a knee replacement at 92 and a hip replacement at 98. She got along fine with both of them and they lasted her until she left at 107. She said they were just worn out. She was never overweight.

I'm a Cold War Veteran; Active Duty US Navy 1983-1993. I never served in a combat zone. I walked into a VA clinic and they signed me up for medical care. If you're an honorably discharged veteran, you qualify for VA medical care. You don't have a be a Vietnam vet or any other type of combat vet to get care from the VA. (Recently the VA started offering medical care for veterans who were discharged Dishonerably or Less Than Honerable for being homosexual.)

I don't know the details, but there are different priorities and services offered by the VA based on types of service and if a disability is service-related. Shoot, even veteran dependents can get medical care from the VA these days, but I expect the priority is low.

If you haven't visited your local VA facility lately I would encourage you to do so. The VA has been beaten up so hard for ineptitude and bureaucracy, they are finally starting to get their act together. I recently got excellent care from the VA. My veteran friend calls me a "Unicorn" for this, but I think she was among many who simply had one bad experience and never went back.

If you need help navigating the VA process, seek out your nearest Disabled American Veterans office. They have the charter from Congress to assist veterans. And yes, they helped me.

FYI, Medicare will now pay for hearing aids. My dad is on Medicare and recently got a set of $13,000 hearing aids free. Check it out.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 05-14-2024 at 2:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I'm a Cold War Veteran; Active Duty US Navy 1983-1993. I never served in a combat zone. I walked into a VA clinic and they signed me up for medical care. If you're an honorably discharged veteran, you qualify for VA medical care. You don't have a be a Vietnam vet or any other type of combat vet to get care from the VA. (Recently the VA started offering medical care for veterans who were discharged Dishonerably or Less Than Honerable for being homosexual.)

I don't know the details, but there are different priorities and services offered by the VA based on types of service and if a disability is service-related. Shoot, even veteran dependents can get medical care from the VA these days, but I expect the priority is low.

If you haven't visited your local VA facility lately I would encourage you to do so. The VA has been beaten up so hard for ineptitude and bureaucracy, they are finally starting to get their act together. I recently got excellent care from the VA. My veteran friend calls me a "Unicorn" for this, but I think she was among many who simply had one bad experience and never went back.

If you need help navigating the VA process, seek out your nearest Disabled American Veterans office. They have the charter from Congress to assist veterans. And yes, they helped me.

FYI, Medicare will now pay for hearing aids. My dad is on Medicare and recently got a set of $13,000 hearing aids free. Check it out.

Not in Phoenix.
    No veteran in his right mind would use this place unless he had Zero options.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...9-f51cb66a99a2
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I'm pretty sure that original Medicare will not pay for hearing aids. You may find a Medicare Advantage plan that will pay for some of the cost of hearing aids.

If you know of a link that confirms that Medicare will pay for hearing aids, please post it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm pretty sure that original Medicare will not pay for hearing aids. You may find a Medicare Advantage plan that will pay for some of the cost of hearing aids.

If you know of a link that confirms that Medicare will pay for hearing aids, please post it.

Mike
    I will check with my dad to get the details. I know he didn't pay for his hearing aids and he has Medicare.