Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freud hand held router FT2200VCE bit is moving

Could not find the 1/4", but did find the 1/2" here. They have 2 left in stock.
    Follow your link then click on the "Frequently bought with" link and it takes you to the 1/4". They show 10 in stock.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A quick Google search for "FT2200VCE Collet) presents some possibilities, but there's also a lot of evidence that it's a tough machine to find parts for at this point.
    I have an FT2000E. Bosch is supposed to provide support, Bosch bought Freud's power tools business (or something like that). Elaire corp. has collets for a number of different makes of routers. I think it might be the same as the collet as for the 3 h.p. DeWalt router. Elaire doesn't list the Freud specifically but I'd give them a call.

Thanks Brian. That's interesting on the Bosch router part number. It's listed as the same collet nut as the 1617 which I also have. So I went out and tried to put the 1617 nut/collet on the Freud 2000E, but no dice...too small.

The Musclechuck compatibility said that the Freud and DW625 collet nuts should be the same, as Curt H suggests. However that still didn't fit. Seemed to be sized appropriately but the threads didn't engage.

In the end, I got frustrated and therefore my new Triton TRA001 is on it's way along with a new Incra Plate. The Freud was working well (outside of the bypassed speed switch), but I decided that even if I could get things working I didn't want to build a new table around something for which it was so hard to source parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I have an FT2000E. Bosch is supposed to provide support, Bosch bought Freud's power tools business (or something like that). Elaire corp. has collets for a number of different makes of routers. I think it might be the same as the collet as for the 3 h.p. DeWalt router. Elaire doesn't list the Freud specifically but I'd give them a call.
    They did for a while, but no longer. Brian

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that even with a new, clean collet and bits, the collet still needs to be done up TIGHT. Those short wrenches that come with the router really need to have substantial force applied.

I had 1 router bit that moved no matter how well it was tightened. It was one of the cheap ones and it was graciously and quickly
    replaced ,and they told me to not send back the other one. The bit should be pushed to the bottom of collet then withdrawn about 1/8th.
    Failure to leave that space can make the bit move a little ,or even fly out. One experienced old timer told me “I ain’t ever heard that before”,
    a little later he had a bit move and spoil some work , that convinced him he shoulda’ heard before. And the collets CAN wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    They did for a while, but no longer. Brian
    Bummer. I was poking around on routerworkshop.com and found the original manufacturer of that router, which is Italian. I didn't bookmark the site, figure if mine has problems beyond the collet I'll replace it with something current production.

don't purchase the item on the link I pasted from ereplacement parts. Old man was confused, it is for the bosch model and will not fit the Freud. Apologize to anyone who bought this. brian
    Brian

Solution for Freud collets

From one of the engineers are Musclechuck.

Hello,
    Yes, the Type 2 Musclechuck will fit the FREUD 1700 VCE and the FREUD 2000 VCE series routers. We have an extended version of the type 2 Musclechuck if extra clearance is needed in your setup.

Thank You,
    Joe DeRosa
    DeRosa Engineering, Inc.
    8507 Churchill Court
    Upper Marlboro MD 20772
    301-868-8359
    301-868-7537
    www.derosaengineering.com
    Brian

Hello,
    Yes, the Type 2 Musclechuck will fit the FREUD 1700 VCE and the FREUD 2000 VCE series routers. We have an extended version of the type 2 Musclechuck if extra clearance is needed in your setup.

Thank You,
    Joe DeRosa
    DeRosa Engineering, Inc.
    8507 Churchill Court
    Upper Marlboro MD 20772
    301-868-8359
    301-868-7537
    There ya go. It seems like a router collet will fit more than one brand machine. The trick is knowing which ones.

Blog Entries
    You could also search the large auction site for Freud 2000VCE collet. There seem to be a number of options there.

What size collet are you using and what size is the shank of the bit. If you are using a split insert in a 1/2" collet to run a 1/4" bit, they are notorious for slipping

I have the same router and it still works quite well. I would draw a line with a sharpie around the bit in question right against the collet and a line around bot slide tubes against the frame. Then run the router on some scrap and see if the bit is moving or the depth lock lever is slipping. I would have to bet on the depth lock slipping instead of the collet.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-04-2022 at 9:33 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hello,

Thank You,
    Joe DeRosa
    DeRosa Engineering, Inc.
    8507 Churchill Court
    Upper Marlboro MD 20772
    301-868-8359
    301-868-7537
    I know this is an old post but can't seem to reach anyone at Derosa by email or phone. Will the type 2 fit a Freud FT2000E? Not sure if there is any shaft difference between mine and the 2000 VCE listed on their site

Upcut spirals require a little more umph when installing because the knives are pulling the bit down into the cut. Also may want to check the bearings to see if there is any endplay. This had me perplexed on one doing the same thing.