Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Systainers?

I find the SYS-AZ Drawers installed in a rolling cabinet useful. They pull out far enough to let me keep the Systainer lid open until I am finished using the tool, and I typically only use one tool at a time, so it keeps things tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    I find the SYS-AZ Drawers installed in a rolling cabinet useful. They pull out far enough to let me keep the Systainer lid open until I am finished using the tool, and I typically only use one tool at a time, so it keeps things tidy.
    While I didn't use the SYS-AZ dawers...I made my own equivalent...and agree. Slide them out, open the box and so forth. Lesser used tools are "bottom" of individual short stacks so rarely will a box need to be physically removed. A drawer for every box is overkill in most cases, but not an issue for me with how I planned things out. I didn't do rolling, however, as that wasn't a good fit for my shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm getting a bigger band saw, & so working on the far corner of the shop, where the least functional stuff drifts to, including the two systainers mentioned upthread.

I measured the one that has the domino assortment- the actual space holding the parts is 532 CI, and the overall box is 1184 CI, for a 44% efficiency.

If they go in cut off milk cartons, they fit with an additional empty carton in a box 790 CI- I think I'll do that.

100% the systainer is made for the mobile installer. But I can see its worth in the shop as long as the shop is 1000 square feet or more. In a 500 square foot shop I feel that you use up too much real estate per tool. I have 8 sanders in a drawer that is 6" tall 30" deep and 30" or so wide as well as the accessories that go with them. My Track saw/ Of1400/Domino/2 palm routers/ direct accessories that came in each box all fit in a drawer 12" high 36" wide 24 deep. 2 cordless 12 volts/ drill set/jigsaw/multi tool all fit in a 6" tall 30" deep and 30" If I were to have each in their own systainer It would be 16" wide tower 24' tall. I dont go anywhere with these tools I have another set of portable tools in the truck for going out. If I had 1200 square feet and room for being spread out I see the appeal of systainer drawers.

Systainers are just like every other proprietary tool brands storage system. if they work for you great.
    I don't work on location, only in the shop. Most tools come in a blow molded cases, which are basically worthless, other than to keep dust off of them. Far too large and no room for bits, blades, discs, etc.
    Most of my tools, I keep on shelves, drawers, etc. as long as the case isn't too oversized, I'll use it but far too often they get tossed.
    I did like the older Milwaukee metal boxes you used to get when you got a new tool, they were very functional.

While a lot of folks associate Systainers with Festool, it's important to consider that a number of other tool brands, such as Makita, also use the Tanos Systainers for various tools in their arsinals. At the same time, there are many folks who have standardized on Milwaukee's Packout containers in a similar way that some of us use Systainers. It's all a subjective choice as I mentioned previously. Do what works for you.
    --

George and Edward both have good points but ultimately it's like Jim says, it's a subjective choice at the end of the day. There is some loss in efficiency using them vs. drawer storage. That said, one particularly thoughtful choice for the newer Systainers are the integrated rails for drawer slides, either custom or Festool brand. I used the relatively inexpensive versions (about ~40 bucks for 4 pairs) and they actually worked very well. I was surprised at how compact, durable and easy to install they were.

I'm also a fan of the Packout system by Milwaukee for larger boxes, drawers, bins and accessories, but those are very much as George points out, only meant if you have the space. They're more durable but a lot less efficient for space. In a pinch I used a Packout box to rest my friend's motorcycle on to fix a flat. Yea, they're tough LOL.

Systainers are more than just a plastic box for storing tools.
    They are also the functional packaging for those tools.

To understand the importance of that, you have to become familiar with German recycling law, from 1972 to present.

This page from Festool Australia https://www.festool.com.au/news/SYST...rial-and-waste gives a hint of what Festool used to stress on their websites.

I used to wonder why Festool was so expensive and why I had to pay for an expensive container I had no real use of. I looked into it (2006) and found out the Systainer wasn't something optional. In order to comply with German and later EU packaging laws, they had to be used.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

In the past I let them pile up as I purchase new tools and when I have a stack of 6 or more I post them for sale. If the pile is high enough I usually get a free tool out of it. I find myself wanting to hold on to the 2 cxs 12 systainers. They have a nice organizer built into the lid
    20240516_093411.jpg

Blog Entries
    I must confess that I have kept a couple. One for the track saw and one for the Domino. All others were sent to recycle heaven and these two are next. I do not do job site work and do mot need to tote my tools so fixed organization (drawers and custom fixtures) serve me best. I agree that it is subjective. If stack-ables and carry-ables work for you, then that is the right way to go.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I must confess that I have kept a couple. One for the track saw and one for the Domino. All others were sent to recycle heaven and these two are next. I do not do job site work and do mot need to tote my tools so fixed organization (drawers and custom fixtures) serve me best. I agree that it is subjective. If stack-ables and carry-ables work for you, then that is the right way to go.
    There's a bit of irony.
    Festo decided on using an end use product (Systainer) as a way of working with the German Packaging Ordinance to help reduce/eliminate waste going to landfills - only to have them come to the USA and end up in a landfill. LOL!

Gotta love irony .

That aside, you should really stick them on CL or FB Marketplace and sell them. They fetch a decent amount of money & sell quick.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    In the past I let them pile up as I purchase new tools and when I have a stack of 6 or more I post them for sale. If the pile is high enough I usually get a free tool out of it. I find myself wanting to hold on to the 2 cxs 12 systainers. They have a nice organizer built into the lid
    20240516_093411.jpg
    My CSX-18 came with the same organizer lid and I've already taken advantage of that when I was at my daughter's apartment to assemble a new bed frame for her as I had to adapt the old headboard to the new frame.
    --

I only have one Festool Systainer, it resides on a shelf since I brought my 6" sander home.
    I have no use for the Systainer so I think i will offer it as a FreeStuff Prize here.

I have decided to reduce the size of my tool inventory, mostly because the number of tools and machines have now outgrown the space in my workshop. Seems like a good way to solve a problem and help others here at The Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I only have one Festool Systainer, it resides on a shelf since I brought my 6" sander home.
    I have no use for the Systainer so I think i will offer it as a FreeStuff Prize here.

I have decided to reduce the size of my tool inventory, mostly because the number of tools and machines have now outgrown the space in my workshop. Seems like a good way to solve a problem and help others here at The Creek.
    While I have no interest in sustainers, I find your situation and solution to be very altruistic.

Thanks Ed, I will definitely be adding to the list of things to donate as time goes by.