Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LLAMBRICH Intergrated arbor and chuck

My dilemma is whether or not I actually use my DP enough to justify a very nice keyless chuck whereas. Or even to upgrade to a variable speed DP for that matter.
    Having a vfd means I will slow down the rpm for a big holesaw with. the twist of a knob. I probably would not bother if I had to change belts. That means tools last longer since they do not run too fast and burn the edges.
    A used three phase Dp is normally cheaper and better built then a single phase one of similar size. A one hp vfd is under $75 these days.
    BilLD
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-05-2024 at 8:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply anything disparaging about putting a $400 high quality chuck on a DP that originally cost similar money two decades ago. It's just an ironic thing. The same DP today is about double (anecdotally speaking...I didn't look it up) My dilemma is whether or not I actually use my DP enough to justify a very nice keyless chuck whereas. Or even to upgrade to a variable speed DP for that matter.
    Agreed Jim, and i didn't mean that to be a direct reply to you. Just an opportunity to remind that the motorized part of the tool is not always the key component of making the tool work to its fullest.

Also agree on the drill chuck dilemna--i'm in the same boat as you. But each time i see a thread on the Llambrich i wonder if i'd use my DP more if it was easier to work with (and more accurate). Even worse...i wonder the same thing when read a Nova Voyager thread!! Might make the Llambrich seem inexpensive!!

The projects I have lined up and potentially lined up for this year will give me some indication if making the investment in improving my DP performance would be worth it or not. So I remain happy to have learned about this nice way to improve it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Jim, I bought a few used Albrecht chucks that were in good shape, then replaced a few parts on them with replacements from McMaster. I probably have $200-$250 into each one.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Jim, I bought a few used Albrecht chucks that were in good shape, then replaced a few parts on them with replacements from McMaster. I probably have $200-$250 into each one.
    Brian, we will have to have a conversation over a beverage about that sometime.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The drawback to any integrated shank is if you get another machine. If that machine uses a different spindle you will have to buy all new tooling not just switch arbors. Not really an issue for DPs from 3/4 - 3hp are almost all mt2. Above that they go to MT3. I am ignoring euro tapers. Older and smaller DPs may use a male JT
    BilL D

Blog Entries
    Sounds good, Jim!

Bill, I agree with your recommendation. FWIW all of the European machines I’ve run into so far have had Morse tapers.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

My future DP (soon!) : "JT33 keyed drill chuck is fitted to the MT #2 spindle taper"

My future integrated chuck/arbor
    LLambrich.jpg
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”