Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewalt DW735 Planer for short hardwood boards?

I don't think the width of the planer has much to do with it's ability to handle short stock. Anything under 12" is a challenge to run through any planer. I'd make a carrying sled for this purpose. Also, CA gluing the piece to the sled (using blue tape between each piece and the glue) is a safer way to prevent snipe or grabbing.

I had the DW735 for years. It's a great planer, but if I had the 20" I wouldn't be looking to get another. I do wish for a drum sander at times... That's a horse of a different color and very appropriate for smaller, thinner, daintier things.

The idea of using a sled for smaller boards honestly never occurred to me. I plan to give that a try before investing in another planer. Reducing or eliminating snipe on these small pieces would be a bonus.

And giving member Prashun added credit, the sled could also be used on my dual drum sander. I'm hoping the extra surface area on the sled will help carry the pieces through the machine instead of them stalling over a drum.