Thread: Double Barn Doors - How to get them to stop correctly

Double Barn Doors - How to get them to stop correctly

I have a large opening between two rooms that the most sensible/esthetically pleasing solution to be able to close on occasion is double barn doors. In other words, four doors total, two on each side when totally open, all four doors brought towards the middle to close.

I know there must be a simple solution to this, but how to you get the outer doors to not slide too much to the middle? And is there hardware that would allow easy sides doors to move together in some coordinated fashion? Really explaining this issue badly..
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Something Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    Something Like this?
    Yes, but with two doors on each side (4 doors total). Wondering how someone on the inside room can close the doors (especially the ones closest to the outer walls that would be hidden from the inside room when fully open).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I don't think there is any way to make it that much easier. Not that I can think of anyway. The person on the inside room will have to reach into the outside room and pull the doors closed. The only other thing I could think of would be double pocket doors that have stops or something like that so that the inside door is always pulled to the center. Wall thickness would come into play quite a bit though. Hopefully someone else has better ideas than me.

I'd put a small block, as a stop, at the trailing edge of the wall side of the outer door. It would contact a mating stop block attached to the wall at the jamb of the door opening.

If the 4 doors are coplanar on a single track, then no stop block on the inner doors means no interference for them.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I did a set of big doors like that in a commercial space. Not simple at all- a belt and pulleys at the tracks above with adjustable stops. Hours and hours of fiddling as I recall.

It was something like this:

https://www.hafele.com/us/en/product...et/P-00877446/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I have a large opening between two rooms that the most sensible/esthetically pleasing solution to be able to close on occasion is double barn doors. In other words, four doors total, two on each side when totally open, all four doors brought towards the middle to close.

I know there must be a simple solution to this, but how to you get the outer doors to not slide too much to the middle? And is there hardware that would allow easy sides doors to move together in some coordinated fashion? Really explaining this issue badly..
    If the doors are mounted on two tracks it should be easy. Place a stop on the track for the outer doors so they stop where you want them to be.
    To simplify closing, place a block on the training top edge of the first door to close and a corresponding block on the top leading edge of the outer door such that as the first door closes, the block on that door will engage the block on the second door to close, thus pulling the second door along with the first. By placing two blocks on the first door one on the leading edge and one on the trailing edge, when you open the first door, it would slide partially open and then engage the second door to slid it open as well.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-16-2024 at 1:23 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I see it that there will be two tracks spanning the entire width. One track for the two opposing doors closest to the wall, one track for the two most in the room. All the doors will have their own soft-close stopping elements to help minimize finger pinching and to stop the doors where they should. Johnson has all the parts to make this work.
    JonathanJungDesign.com