Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to me, used jointer

Mike, you says the seller cannot help you, and your wife is physically light, but a good worker.
    Also you will be loading this machine in a driveway, so it's probably sloped.
    Things can go wrong very quickly in this situation. I've seen it happen.

I would absolutely take the jointer apart - remove the fence, stow it on the bed of your truck, then the tables and stow.
    Now you just have the base and the motor to move.

These are simple machines and it will not be difficult to put it back together, and you'll save yourself a potential disaster. Plus you won't need to haul a trailer for the trip.

"My little wife and I moved an 8" joiner. I bolted a manual boat winch to the front of the flat bed. Covered the ramps with plywood. Took off the handle on the winch and used a cordless drill to winch it up unto the trailer. It was on a moveable base."

Winner, winner chicken dinner

Blog Entries
    I have an older 6 inch delta jointer that has been professionally moved twice in the last two years. I didn't watch either move but can guess how handy those wings are to the movers. I haven't used it in the last two years but just yesterday I checked it and it was as close to co planer as I care to get it. To be honest I've never checked it before so maybe they improved it!

Well the lifting handles and engine hoist will do the job nicely...Mark who mentioned the sloping driveway, I was worried about that also, I am one of the ones who had things go sideways on sloped driveways with top heavy items. In the pictures, driveway looks fairly level, not too worried and the mobile base arrives tomorrow. All ready to go, thanks...

Those lifting handles look okay but after rigging run a horizontal strap all around so it will not fall off one side if it tilts forward or back. Sounds like those rods can not get lost? They are often lost for a lathe after installation. I think they may be the property of the seller. On a lathe, the rod ends will have a groove and clips with washers so the rigging can not slip off sideways.
    BilL D

Just to close off this thread, the lifting bars and my engine hoist worked great. Lifted it onto the trailer, and then once home got it on the ground onto the mobile base. The thing looks brand new and I really like it so far except I am getting some sniping the last inch of the board. I can’t seem to adjust the outfeed table to get rid of it but I’m still playing with it. The tables are coplaner and I don’t understand why I’m getting the sniping, but as I said, I’ll adjust it just not been able to so far. It is so much quieter than my old hitachi jointer and with the helical head much nicer finish. I was worried about nothing it was easy to lift and move due to the handles

Check the knives height. Probably higher than the out feed table.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

The best way ti set the a jointer outfeed table to the knives is the let the cut determine the height.
    Here's a video describing the method.
    https://youtu.be/PNOt1SvjoLs?si=NNANc4YFOZZrZw3b
    Refrain from adjusting tables settings done at the factory. Unless you have the precision straight edges and a good understanding of the process.
    I really easy to make things worse.
    Good luck

Coincidentally, I also just got an 8" jointer. After removing the fence, rolled it down a driveway on it's mobile base, and used a mini chain hoist to lift it into the raised deck of my van onto it's side.- the hoist hanging from the roof rack. The CL seller was quite competent so that helped. Unloaded it myself.

Re snipe, IME the outfeed table adjustment can be very subtle sometimes taking multiple tiny changes.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Check the knives height. Probably higher than the out feed table.
    Congrats! Yea those lifting handles are awesome, right?

I agree with Mike. It could also be technique, no offense intended. I’ve been there myself, just not carefully removing pressure.