Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many projects under way at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    2 to 3 physical ones in the shop / installs is all I can take mentally and physically.

2 to 3 quotes seem to be due every week as well.

Whenever I'm on this site a lot, I'm trying to focus on quotes and not doing a very good job at staying focused. : )

Get back to work!

This question might give an answer to the question "are you better at starting or finishing things?" I'm much better at starting, so usually have 3-9 'wood working' projects in various stages + house projects going at once...
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

record I know of a cabinetmaker I knew very well 36 jobs. That him preparing the drawings and all for 425 people. 85 licensed cabinet makers in there. One of those jobs all the interior teak millwork for the new city hall in Toronto.

One at a time, unless the project involves multiples (duplicates) of the one item. In that case the number is “n” (depends on how many multiples).

You can not have too many projects 15% complete...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    ^^^This^^^
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

For me it depends partly on what I'm doing and partly on what counts as a project. I will make batches of up to 6 banjos at a time, though usually more like 2-4. Right now I have a banjo awaiting final sanding and a fiddle put together but needing trimming, and the chinrest and tailpiece are partially built. While I was working on those I made a couple of extra banjo armrests to restock after an order that came in. Tomorrow night I plan to start applying finish to all of these things, and the fiddle and banjo will have to be set up afterward. I can always fill in extra time making banjo parts, and because they involve brass work too I can do the brass parts of a batch of banjos while waiting for glue to dry on the wood parts, for instance. I also have some parts cut for a cabinet and measurements taken for a set of shelves for the high part of the wall in the kitchen, and I'm hoping to get those jobs done next week before my sister comes to visit for Christmas. Not that it would matter to her if they are done or not, but I don't want to be distracted and making a mess in the house when she is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    ...d. I can always fill in extra time making banjo parts, and because they involve brass work too I can do the brass parts of a batch of banjos while waiting for glue to dry on the wood parts, for instance...
    Zachary, what kind of tools do you use in your brass work? Machine? hand tools? Both?
    If hand tools I'd like very much to know what you use.
    HAve you posted anything in the "Metalwork" forum?
    Just curious because I work with metal (mostly copper and brass, some aluminium and mild steel,... a little, very little, stainless steel. I hate working w/ SS )
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Usually just one project at a time for me. I don’t like having multiple incomplete projects hanging around. Space is also a big constraint. When I was building the master bedroom set, I built two nightstands and a tall chest of drawers at the same time. This was efficient as the pieces shared many common dimensions and I could batch many of the components.
    Chris

Eleventy seven....

Being retired means you can start a whole bunch of stuff you have no intention on finishing. The vast majority of projects I start these days doesn't get past the planning stages.

Well,,it does get far enough along that I buy whatever tools and tooling I think I'll need, but, it sort of fizzles out after that.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Sounds like we need a mechanism to keep some of you on track. You need accountability buddies.

Lol
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

As long as I'm doing all I can do every day, I feel like I'm doing all I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Cool if I make a yellow card, like they use in soccer, with that quote? I can flash it to my wife whenever needed.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    As long as I'm doing all I can do every day, I feel like I'm doing all I can do.
    My goal is to think this way.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Zachary, what kind of tools do you use in your brass work? Machine? hand tools? Both?
    If hand tools I'd like very much to know what you use.
    HAve you posted anything in the "Metalwork" forum?
    Just curious because I work with metal (mostly copper and brass, some aluminium and mild steel,... a little, very little, stainless steel. I hate working w/ SS )
    I use a ring roller from Shop Outfitters to make tension hoops, tone rings, etc. It's a hand tool, and I use pliers to handle pieces that are short when I'm shaping them on the belt sander so they don't burn my fingers, and a hacksaw to cut hoop to length after rolling, but it's mostly power tools. I use the bandsaw with a dull blade to cut U shaped yokes for dowel sticks, usually 20-30 at a time, once or twice a year. I use the belt, disc, and spindle sander to shape and smooth, and the ShopSmith for horizontal drilling. An old Dremel with a barrel shaped carving bit for making holes egg shaped, and a MAP torch to silver solder the hoops shut. I haven't posted about this, or paid much attention to the metalworking forum, but I guess I should.