Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carbide guide blocks for bandsaw

Thanks for the responses. I think I will try some 1/2" round bronze rod I have. Much easier to cut and polish the 45 degree angle.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will try some 1/2" round bronze rod I have. Much easier to cut and polish the 45 degree angle.
    BilL D

Good approach, Bill. When I read this post, I immediately remembered a post by Jack Forsberg (sp) (Where are you Jack? I miss your posts.) where he made some clever brass guides that fit into the blade slot on his bandsaw. I always wanted to try it but haven't yet. Now that I have a CNC I might just give it a go. Jack's idea makes a lot of sense, regardless of what material you use, for any saw where the lower guides are substantially below the table.

John

I think I will try some 1/2" round bronze rod I have
    Bronze is good. I knew a bandsaw box maker who used 1/8" bronze to guide 1/8" blades for clean tight turns. His were angled down on top and up for the lower to support closer to the work

Round brass or bronze is about half the price of square. Same is true for steel. It has slightly less metal in it and much easier to roll then squares.
    Bill D

My bandsaw blades get dull way before any kind of abrasive guide would cause any damage. I don't run the guides that tight to the blade anyway. There is always a dollar bill clearance between the guides and the blade.