Thread: Curved shears on tormek?

Curved shears on tormek?

I need to sharpen my wife's (expensive) pet grooming shears. They're curved (quite a bit) so the regular scissor jig isn't going to work. I have the t8... Any ideas? I'm not really into doing such a large curve by hand, it's going to be difficult to maintain the same angle as I banana the shears over a stone and the one side is an inside curve so I'd have to round over a stone on one edge at least. If the bevel was larger, like on a scorp or curved knife, it would be much easier.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of my favorite YouTube machinists, This Old Tony, recently made a video about sharpening curved pruning shears. His videos are always entertaining to watch and he has an interesting sense of humor. This has nothing to do with using your Tormek but it might give you some ideas for sharpening your curved blade.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps4yC-5NV1c

John, really cool video, thanks. Unfortunately, the curve runs differently (a quick search on Amazon will show what I mean). It's not circular and curves sideways, not forward.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    One of my favorite YouTube machinists, This Old Tony, recently made a video about sharpening curved pruning shears. His videos are always entertaining to watch and he has an interesting sense of humor. This has nothing to do with using your Tormek but it might give you some ideas for sharpening your curved blade.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps4yC-5NV1c

I remember seeing a video from Tormek on sharpening a scythe and a variety of other unique tools. That may be of some help.

Hi Matt, I've seen it. It's all about recurve blades but doesn't address a sideways curve (think warped steel).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wolboldt View Post
    I remember seeing a video from Tormek on sharpening a scythe and a variety of other unique tools. That may be of some help.

"sharpen my wife's (expensive) pet grooming shears" sounds like a job for a professional sharpening service or a good divorce lawyer.

I think you must be talking about the bent kind for trimming the feet while the dog is standing on the table??? I sharpen those with the red, blue, and green diamond paddles. It doesn't take long. I don't know of a jig that will do what those need.

https://groomerspro.com/chris-christ...AaAm9oEALw_wcB

I found this but don't have this setup.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=udZr5rnelBU

Exactly like those, Tom. I can't figure out how not to change the bevel angle over multiple sharpenings (by hand).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I think you must be talking about the bent kind for trimming the feet while the dog is standing on the table??? I sharpen those with the red, blue, and green diamond paddles. It doesn't take long. I don't know of a jig that will do what those need.

https://groomerspro.com/chris-christ...AaAm9oEALw_wcB

Those diamond paddles don't take off much. It's not as much difference between dull and sharp on scissors as plane irons and chisels. The angle is not that important-only the very cutting edge.

I don't have the paddles but I do have some small slip stones from when I started messing around with carving. I can give those a shot. Thinking about it... maybe I can clamp the shears to the bench and anchor the slip stone at one of its corners (to the bench) and just rotate across the cutting edge...Thanks for the advice.

Those diamond paddles don't take off much. It's not as much difference between dull and sharp on scissors as plane irons and chisels. The angle is not that important-only the very cutting edge.

I hold the scissors in my left hand, sitting in the chair at my desk in the shop, with the open scissors resting on the edge of the desk holding the bevel at what looks like level. Then I rub the edge holding the paddles level.

Sounds solid. Thanks again.

I hold the scissors in my left hand, sitting in the chair at my desk in the shop, with the open scissors resting on the edge of the desk holding the bevel at what looks like level. Then I rub the edge holding the paddles level.