Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancer Warning

California prides it's self on clean air, especially when it comes to electric power generation. Largest coal burning power plant in Utah produces electricity that is only sold in California. It doesn't count if it's across the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    California prides it's self on clean air, .
    LOL...It was sometime in the early 2000's my daughter and I flew into LA, we were met by a Machinery Rep and I asked him about all the smoke we saw coming in and if it was because the fires were still raging.... He said NO.. that's smog this sh..hole always looks like this

Years ago hair dryers had asbestos in them , they still show up in junk shops. What guy among us, especially as a kid , never had some bad
    experiences with zippers ? Makes me think of the old TV animal show “Wild Kingdom”…. “Watch out there ,Jim those teeth are sharp !”
    And I always wondered why it was only California that knew what products caused cancer, then a few other states figured it out ,too.

Blog Entries
    I see the warning on things made of bone lately. I processed some bone yesterday and was slack with the mask and dust collection, Today my nose is very sore.

Shouldn't there be a P65 warning on water

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    California that knew what products caused cancer, then a few other states figured it out ,too.
    Missouri inadvertently volunteered to be the testing ground for "dust abatement fluid" (no warning sticker). It was made from the off-fall of making enough agent orange to defoliate a small nation mixed with used motor oil. The Route 66 museum and state park near what used to be Times Beach MO is on a fairly long list of places to avoid in MO. Much of the detritus from the Manhattan project is buried just around the corner near Weldon Spring MO, under a 41 acre pile of rock (no warning stickers there either).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Shouldn't there be a P65 warning on water
    We have that in MO. Many private wells have been condemned. Rocheport MO had its own wells and water supply. The water was deemed un safe due to radionuclides and other contaminates around 2006 or 07. Small towns and rural areas are connecting to Consolidated Water so every one has access to water from a plant that has the recourses to deal with more and more contaminates in the aquifer. Chloroform, dichioromomethane, dibromochloromethane, and bromoforms levels keep going up in our water quality reports every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    LOL...It was sometime in the early 2000's my daughter and I flew into LA, we were met by a Machinery Rep and I asked him about all the smoke we saw coming in and if it was because the fires were still raging.... He said NO.. that's smog this sh..hole always looks like this
    It's called the LA basin for a reason.

My favorite is a bottle of purified sand from the laboratory (it's used for packing columns for separations and such). Basically, if you followed the label warnings you wouldn't go near a beach, at least not without a whole bunch of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) on.

I just looked up the SDS for Sand, white quartz ≥99.995% trace metals basis from the Sigma Aldrich (a lab supplier) website (though it seemed more dramatic on the bottle with the pictogram of the person in lab coat, gloves and goggles (and maybe a faceshield) The issue is most likely breathing the dust, but the same SDS is used for 20 grams or 100,000 pounds.
    Hazard statement(s)
    H350 May cause cancer.
    H372 Causes damage to organs (Lungs) through prolonged orrepeated exposure if inhaled.
    Precautionary statement(s)
    P201 Obtain special instructions before use.
    P202 Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and
    understood.
    P260 Do not breathe dust.
    P264 Wash skin thoroughly after handling.
    P270 Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product.
    P280 Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face
    protection.
    P308 + P313 IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/ attention.
    P405 Store locked up.
    P501 Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal
    plant.

Looking further down I'm now interested in the Firefighting measures section
    SECTION 5: Firefighting measures
    5.1 Extinguishing media
    Suitable extinguishing media
    Use extinguishing measures that are appropriate to local circumstances and the surrounding
    environment.

Unsuitable extinguishing media
    For this substance/mixture no limitations of extinguishing agents are given.

This gets me to a pet peeve of mine on the MSDS/SDS safety sheets. Often times they say use appropriate protective gear, but do not indicate what is appropriate. Depending on the chemical your are dealing with some gloves could be good and some could be bad to use, but they don't tell you that for fear of liability. Back in my semiconductor days, I had an argument with our safety guy since they had vinyl aprons for ALL chemical handling. As a chemist and knowing the range of reactive chemicals the semiconductor fabrication process uses I told him that vinyl was not appropriate in all cases. He insisted because that was the directive from on high.

John

Life, participate at your own risk

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    These warnings remind me . . .

My wife's hair dryer has a sticker on it warning one not to use the hair dryer in the shower. You realize that this label actually happened because some moron thought it might be a good idea to use the hair dryer in the shower.
    Warnings not to use in shower were not enough so many hair dryers now come with an integrated GFCI in case they come in contact with water. There are still bathrooms without GFCI receptacles because the house was built before they were required.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Life, participate at your own risk
    Well said Edward. If you live long enough you will likely get some kind of cancer. This reminds me, I am overdue for a wellness check. Thats a good new year resolution, make that appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Years ago hair dryers had asbestos in them , they still show up in junk shops. What guy among us, especially as a kid , never had some bad
    experiences with zippers ? Makes me think of the old TV animal show “Wild Kingdom”…. “Watch out there ,Jim those teeth are sharp !”
    And I always wondered why it was only California that knew what products caused cancer, then a few other states figured it out ,too.
    Good one Mel.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    When it first came out many stores just put up a poster by the front door Warning products in this facility may cause cancer. Some still have them up to CTA.
    IIRC, the mere presence of fluorescent tube lighting requires the warning, so pretty much any non-residential buildings got signs at the entrance.

Including the oncology center at my local hospital.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Then automotive fanbelts--they have a warning to stop the car engine first before trying to change the belt.
    Could be worse:
    pizza box2.jpg
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.