Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I use my chainsaw when it's raining?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    When I lived in California, the advice was to wait for your field (or lawn) to be dry before you mowed.
    Try that now and someone will complain.

These days (with the drought) you ONLY cut your lawn in the morning when the humidity is at its highest. You're not supposed to cut things when it's too dry.
    I can't tell you how many grass fires have been started by some idiot mowing bone dry grass.

The chips will clump, is all I can think, and chips will stick to you

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    As Einstein said: 'It's all relative'.

Living in the Santa Cruz mountains, Big Basin, some years up around 100 inches , going in to work on the Peninsula ... co-workers ... 'i got soaked getting to my car this morning' ...

Friend from mid state Michigan... yeah, umm, you don't have a clue ...

I've been to Atlanta, now more or less living in Austin ... turn the AC to 76 and all the windows fog up ...
    I see you are from Cedar Park. I lived by CPHS on Anderson Mill Road.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    The chips will clump, is all I can think, and chips will stick to you
    The video explains that underwater chainsaws run in reverse compared to dry ones. They throw the chips forward away from the operaters vision. They do swirl around and float much longer though.
    BilL D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Try that now and someone will complain.

These days (with the drought) you ONLY cut your lawn in the morning when the humidity is at its highest. You're not supposed to cut things when it's too dry.
    I can't tell you how many grass fires have been started by some idiot mowing bone dry grass.
    Unfortunately any fool can buy a mower and use it. An intelligent person knows to not cut tall grass with a mower when it is so dry a spark from hitting a rock can cause a conflagration.

Anyone who has cut or grown alfalfa has probably heard the tale of the newbie grower complaining about how he cut it green, bailed it green, stacked it green and it still burns.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

On a related note, I'm really wondering now about using my chainsaw in the shower....

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    On a related note, I'm really wondering now about using my chainsaw in the shower....
    Coated well with the spray Dawn dishwashing detergent, it cleans them up pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Unfortunately any fool can buy a mower and use it. An intelligent person knows to not cut tall grass with a mower when it is so dry a spark from hitting a rock can cause a conflagration.

Anyone who has cut or grown alfalfa has probably heard the tale of the newbie grower complaining about how he cut it green, bailed it green, stacked it green and it still burns.

jtk
    Who are these "intelligent people" you speak of?
    I sometimes fear there is a lack of them near where I live.
    I understand that not everyone can cut the grass when it's optimal, but if not, just let it alone until you can.
    Personally, I would rather see some slightly taller, unkept grass than a wildfire.