Thread: Thoughts on this mortising tool? Anyone bought one?

Thoughts on this mortising tool? Anyone bought one?

Ran across this interesting take on a mortising tool. Uses some standard CNC parts and a custom aluminum frame. Anyone have or seen one of these up close? https://uueze.com/products/fixture

2c9318fa662c37cd7f630983791cbc0e.jpg

Edit: The site is probably a scam but a quick search on AliExpress turns up a similar product which is likely trustworthy.
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...71621ffcHVjftK

mortising.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Dixon; 10-02-2022 at 9:07 AM.

Price is right, I'd be curious how easy or difficult it would be to get an even feed speed. I also don't see how you adjust the width and depth of cut. They need a more detailed video. I've used a simple homemade jig to cut mortises with a router but it only works in a vertical orientation

Search for a review of the website, it is a SCAM.

Outscam the scammers: Actually build /patent this as a clear alternative to the wonderfully useful yet overpriced domino machines.

No doubt a lot of woodworkers would like to find a cheaper alternative to the Festool Domino. So is someone trying to scam these woodworkers?

My favorite review of the web site is, "Bought napkins. Received a fishing lure!".
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 10-02-2022 at 12:27 PM.

The other comments aside, the tool has an inadequate fence for registering on the workpiece.

I'd wonder how much play there is in those linear bearings/slides/whatever mechanism let's it slide. While they don't have to necessarily be precise, they do have to be repeatedly accurate so you can cut a loose tenon that reliably fits every mortise you cut.

I once built a mortise jig for my router that used a bushing to guide it. It looked good enough, but the results were far from good enough. Problem is, i didn't figure this out until i ruined a good quantity of parts for a table i was building. I went back to my old standby of the edge guide on the router, and the problem was solved.

Wait until it's offered on Amazon before you buy it. You can get your money back from Amazon if it's a scam.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.