Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomorrow is our 48th wedding anniversary

Congrats to all of the long term couples.
    Wife got her cataracts taken care of a few years ago, 3?4?. Paid 6k extra for the best lenses they had, well worth it for her. She can see up close to far without any glasses. That is where my money for a 16" combo planer/jointer went, was going to be a Hammer probably.
    Ron

Marriage is a fascinating journey. If you're at 48 years, and still happy, you've both done a lot of things right. Congratulations. I hope your "optical gift" comes back clean ;-)

We were married on July 4th, 44 years ago this year. We have celebrated each anniversary with a community pig roast for the last 40 of those years, with the dates being adjusted on two occassions - once for my son's birth, which fell very near the 4th, so we moved the date out and made it a dual celebration, and once for my daughter's wedding, for exactly the same reason. Only one we've actually missed is 2020. This year torrential rains were forecast for the 4th, so we called a rain date for the 5th, which was forecast as fair weather. Didn't rain on the 4th, but poured buckets on the 5th, just as guests were starting to arrive. Ended up celebrating our 44th with a handful of stalwart friends, in the house, eating pork shuttled from the pig in the shop:

PXL_20220705_225743402.jpg

The nice thing about having the anniversary on a public holiday, is that I never forget. The nice thing about the community party is that I get to celebrate my marriage with my beloved, and take care of most of my social obligations for the year in a beautiful evening at the height of summer. Usually.

Congratulations on the milestone Thomas. In 2 more years we expect you to invite us all to your big celebration. JK but we do expect the announcement here. Hit 45 here this year.

Congratulations Tom!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for all the congratulations and well wishes. We are a long term happy couple. The long term relationship is perhaps a statistical anomaly but not among our friends and family. We hosted a 50th high school reunion party for our high school friends last fall for about 15 classmates. All, 100%, are still married to their high school or college sweethearts. With a few exceptions, this is true of our families and our friends from our college and work lives. There is a compounding interest effect in relationships as in banking. I wish everyone could find that person that they can live the rest of their lives with. It is a rich life.

The “optical goods” anniversary gift was purely a joke about the coincidence of the cataract surgery and the google search for 48th wedding anniversary gifts, mildly amusing only because of the difficulty and redundancy of finding a gift after 47 others. It was only worth retelling because of JWKMH’s snappy reply. Nevertheless, thanks for the gift suggestions. I’ll pass those ideas along. Don’t know for sure yet, but I think I’m still getting the colonoscopy.

Leaving soon for Townsend. It is almost like the honeymoon 48 years ago.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 08-24-2022 at 12:10 PM.

Congratulations Thomas and all the others with those big numbers, we're inching our way in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    ... The nice thing about having the anniversary on a public holiday, is that I never forget. ...
    Best thing about a nondescript nothing date, is she never remembers! (Well, once in 40 tries.)

Happy anniversary Thomas! May you celebrate many more!

The Braves are now within 2 of the Mets. They have a chance, but the odds are on the Mets due to the difference in schedules. The Braves have a tougher schedule down the stretch, having to face the Giants, Cardinals and Phillies. The Mets are done with most of their tough games now and will face teams with losing records. So the odds are that the Mets will win the division and the Braves will host a wildcard series.