Thread: Eccentric hold down for K3 sliding table saw

Eccentric hold down for K3 sliding table saw

I posted this on the Aussie forum, but it may be of use here ..

I have been looking for a hold down for the Hammer K3 slider for some time, to be used like this ...

Something like this eccentric clamp by Felder ...

The trouble is that they are very expensive, somewhere between $150 - $350 USD, and with the Aussie Dollar tanking, try doubling that!

There is an "inexpensive" one available on AliExpress ($75 USD), but price is without shipping (and you still need to double the price for AUD) ...

Then I came across this one, made by ToughCut, available at Total Tools ... in Perth! For $75 AUD. I jumped on it.

When it arrived, I was impressed by the quality of the construction ...

Of course, there was an issue - there was no way to fit this directly to the Hammer slider (it was designed for a ToughCut slider). And I wanted it behind the crosscut fence, where there was no space ...

To give an idea of the size of this thing, the plate for the screw would not fit the track ...

I measured the screw diameter at 21mm ...

The knob at the top intrigued me. It did not appear to do anything. I assumed, from the photo, that it would turn to tighten the base screw, but it did not. It was simply fixed in place.

The screw looked like an M8 thread, but that was difficult to determine in this form. Then it occurred to me that the side clamp had the same thread and knob ...

Checking this, it was indeed an M8. Great, they opened the door!

So, the plan was to up-end the shaft, using the M8 screw to connect it to the plate securing the crosscut fence ...

Cut off the knob, trimmed the bolt, drilled and threaded the plate ...

This was a good and solid fit ...

Here is the finished product (what do I do with the thread at the top - cut it off or add something?) ...

Note that the clamping knob on the side was relocated to the rear (to clear the blade guard) ...

Turned sideways, out-of-the-way ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

nice solution

That "Tough Cut" clamp is extremely similar to the two that came with my SCM/Minimax slider, Derek. Very workable design and I like how you adapted yours to the miter fence setup on your saw, especially given its fixed position on the wagon.

Edit...took a shot while working today so you could see the similarity between the clamps

IMG_6924.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-17-2020 at 7:41 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That looks like a very decent eccentric clamp and your modification to mount it to your crosscut fence baseplate is brilliant. (Hammer should offer it as an accessory and pay you a royalty).

I actually have the Felder hold down on my K3, which has the outrigger and fence at the leading end of the table. It's nicely made and works fine but is super heavy, which is a significant drawback, since hold downs need to go on and off a fair bit in my configuration. Aside from the cost savings, yours looks a lot lighter.

An update is needed. I was reminded of this when asked about the hold down recently.

The fitting I made - the pillar directly to the plate - was not successful. The hold down will want to move backwards when tightened. This eventually loosens and strips the thread in the plate. Consequently, I added a collar. The pillar is allowed to have a little play within it. This is enough to take up the movement without affecting the hold at its base.

This has been in operation for two years now and remains solid.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hey Derek, are you able to post a link where I can find one. Thanks

Ted, remember that I am in Australia.

Here is the local link: https://www.beyondtools.com/product/...s-by-toughcut/

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

I remember seeing the « Mark I » version. Your improved version looks even better and will surely inspire many woodworkers, as your approach could be adapted to other products, such as the Kreg Automax and other hold-down clamps.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Jacques