Thread: Best 6" Wheels for Record Grinder

Best 6" Wheels for Record Grinder

Hello,

I’ve bought an 8” record RSBG8 grinder, but have now found that a 6” would suits my needs better by providing a slightly deeper hollow grind on chisels / plane blades, meaning less returns to the grinder.

I understand I can put 6” wheels on this grinder (but it will invalidate warranty).

What wheels do you recommend I purchase? Are all grinder wheels universal, in terms of fitting across different makes and models?

(Usage - very often -plane blades, chisels / occasionally - carving gouges - scorp, drawknife)

Many years grinding by hand on 60 grit, so don’t mind spending a bit more on wheels that will give good service.

All advice appreciated, Thanks

How would that invalidate warranty? those are wear items. Do they expect you to return it for a refund if the wheels wear out before the warranty. Looks like standard wheels to me.
    The arbor may be metric so you may need some sleeves to fit. Make sure to use blotters under the mounting washers on both sides. It will need some adjustment on the tool rest. You will also have to true the wheels once mounted and occasionally after use. The cheap metal star wheel device works well enough for most wheels. Only need diamonds for harder wheels like CBN.
    Bill D

I've just gotten a new 8" bench grinder, and I've not even mounted it and the new tool rest, but I ordered an 8" CBN wheel for it (should be here today).
    Your size of wheel shouldn't invalidate the warranty, but I haven't read your book. I think, as Bill mentioned the arbour size may be a problem.
    For me, the decision was easy; cooler running vs the OEM grinding stone; no degradation of the diameter in heavy use (thus no re-truing of the wheel); less grinding dust. Easy decision.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I just fitted a 6" Norton "White" wheel to a handcranked grinder. It came with a Matroishka of plastic sleeves to fit most any arbor OD.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/N...EaAtXAEALw_wcB

I asked Record first as manual is 'very short'! Giving no info about wheels / changing / sizes. Anyway, they said that I can, but it will invalidate warranty. Thanks for all the info. Great that you get all those sleeves with the Norton stone - just what I need as most seem to be 32mm and I'm 15.88/5/8". Is that a Norton standard accessory with any wheel bought, or a Sharpening Supplies standard accessory I wonder? Is 25mm the max Norton go to?

Stack washers on your arbor, add flange and nut (fully threaded on.) Remove stack of washers and measure their height. This is the maximum width wheel you can run. I recommend the Norton white wheels. On my woodworking grinder, I have both the 60 and 120 grit wheels. Your new wheels will come with adapters for different shaft sizes. Choose the one that matches your shaft. Don't worry is they aren't as long as wheel is wide. They only center wheel on shaft. The flange washers secure it in place.

CBN pretty much makes white wheels obsolete. My old white wheels sit in boxes now.

I can't understand how small wheels would affect your warranty. After all, new 8" wheels eventually become 6" wheels. I wonder if you were talking to someone who didn't understand you.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.