Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laguna 1836 a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    There's an 18-36 for sale in the Sawmill Creek Classifieds.
    Yes there is. Let me know if interested. I’m tapering back my shop a bit. Thx. Greg

Dan, I too do my turnings outside. My Nova Orion is on casters and all of my previous Nova lathes have had casters too with no issues. I'm not familiar with the Laguna lathe or if they have a swivel headstocks but that is a feature I like about the Nova's. John Keeton mentioned concerns in a previous reply about direct drive motors. The DVR motors constantly monitors the spindle position and maintains optimal spindle speed. Extra power is added if it senses extra load from the tool or catches. I'm sure Laguna's are good products so good luck on your search.

ChrisA Edwards, where can I purchase casters with a lever like those?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Walsh View Post
    ChrisA Edwards, where can I purchase casters with a lever like those?
    These are the ones you see in my video https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you ChrisA Edawards for the info. Thanks for sharing. Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gaylin View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. Super helpful. John I did read your review and found it to be very helpful. I’m still on the fence about the power. Jin your post about the wheel system was very helpful. Anyone else have experience with the Laguna wheel kit?
    I have the wheel system and find it excellent on my 18/36. I can wheel over exposed aggregate driveway for 10mteres and up a ramp into my garage when needed with just a push when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gaylin View Post
    2) I do not have 220 volt service in my shop but it would not be all that difficult or expensive to get it installed. I have not done it before because I am a weekend woodworker and I don’t do a huge volume of work nor do I do very large pieces. Although I do plan on doing some 16” bowls. So for example my 1.5 hp Jet dust collector (120v) suits my needs fine. The question is: is the additional power very important that it would be worth upgrading the service and getting the 2 HP 1836 versus the 1.5 Hp model?
    Dan, I can't comment on the Laguna (never tried one) but I have had extensive experience with a 110v lathe, the Jet 1642. I found it had plenty of power for turning the largest bowl I could turn inboard, about 15-1/2". (I turned this almost 20 years ago on the Jet - I don't much care for the finished shape now but I don't have to look at it - the neighbor who gave me the walnut is stuck with it. )

walnut_bowl_PC181285.jpg

Never stalled on larger bowls, never seemed stressed, turning was easy. I have read where people complained about the power compared to the 220 version, but I haven't watched them turn. It might be a difference in turning styles, tools, and experience, turning with force versus finesse, don't know. Maybe they were turning with scrapers instead of sharp bowl gouges.

JKJ

Carey -- Thanks that's the second endorsement of the wheel system on "rough(er)" terrain.

John, that is very helpful indeed. One less thing to worry about. Thanks!

Hi Chris, would it be better to attach a bar between two casters so that each side comes up evenly instead of one leg at a time where one could have some twisting of the lathe and possibly the bed?