Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Species for Birdhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I just use western red cedar decking material which is what is commonly used for decks and fences around here. Birds dont like paint according to the state conservation department birdhouse guide.
    That is good to know, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Birds dont like paint according to the state conservation department birdhouse guide.
    A lot of sources I have read say it is okay for the outside of the bird house, but not the inside. My preference is to use wood that weathers well and to not paint, but I think many folks paint the outside with good results.

Unfinished WRC. Put this up five years ago, have had a family fledge out last three years in a row.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Eric, Is that a Great Horned Owl? If so, there must be plenty of food around for them.

Owl box

Erik,
    Can you tell me the dimensions of the "Owl Box"? Thanks,
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Eric, Is that a Great Horned Owl? If so, there must be plenty of food around for them.
    We have GHO's in the neighborhood but ours is a Screech Owl, a smaller species. On the game cam I set up in front of the box during nesting season, I have seen them bringing insects, lizards, small rats, and songbirds to the nest as food.

Quote Originally Posted by jack dempsey View Post
    Erik,
    Can you tell me the dimensions of the "Owl Box"? Thanks,
    Jack
    https://www.wildbirdstoreonline.com/...eech-owl-house
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My Peterson style bluebird houses were made of cedar from the BORG. They've been standing for 15 years, occupied every year and still solid.