Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Combination Square

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    But seriously, what is the difference? I'd like to see a serious discussion about the actual performance differences between the different price points in tools.
    Starrett, the fit and finish is immaculate. The edges are both sharp yet eased enough they don't cut your hand. The numbers are etched, easy to read. The rule is either shiny or satin (your preference), made of tool steel and hardened, flat, straight, correct. The heads are cast or forged (your choice). Cast are heavier, forged are smoother, I prefer the latter but it doesn't matter. Mine are square every time, dead nutz in summer and winter. They 'feel' good in the hand, good balance, and I feel happy using them.

Brown & Sharpe combo square: same as above but the edges are not eased and may cut your hand if not careful. I have a BS double square that doesn't lock up 100%. If Starrett is a "10", B&S is a "9.7".

Lufkin combo square: I have one vintage Lufkin square that is high quality, dead nutz, but is a bit worn. I still use it constantly.

Stanley, Craftsman combo squares: Passable, not always square, have to check it and depending on the season, temperature, whatever; it may or may not be dead square. Not made of tool steel, not hardened. Numbers are stamped and more difficult to read. Even if you try filling in the numbers with ink or paint, the stamps are uneven so the numbers are not always clear. If you move the head, it may require fiddling to make it square.

Stanley Try Squares: Some seasons they are square, some not.

Empire: I have no experience with these. In the store they feel light duty like the Stanley or Craftsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McQuay View Post

Empire: I have no experience with these. In the store they feel light duty like the Stanley or Craftsman.
    I have a couple of Empire squares and they are light duty. One thing I do like about them compared to other Borg offerings is the matte blades. I find them easier to read than the typical shiny.They're as square as I can measure but I'm certain they wouldn't last years in daily trade usage. OTOH if they get damaged on a job site they'd be a lot less painful to replace than the premium brands.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-28-2018 at 7:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    I've certainly seen a Ferrari at Walmart, probably even parked a Ferrari at Walmart. BUT the one thing we can be sure that nobody has ever seen is a FERRARI BOXSTER anywhere, parked or otherwise.
    You never know what some tuners can do with a little imagination, I have seen some crazy stuff, but true no Ferrari Boxster yet

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    My Starrett rules are satin chrome and I don't have any of the other. I love the way the scale looks.

Wondering about the difference I checked some of the reviews and questions. I found this:

Question: What is the advantage of the satin Crome over the standard finish.?
    Answer: I think it is easer to read.

I know - buy one of each and let everyone know what you think!

JKJ
    This is the main reason to buy Starrett. The satin chrome finish. Nothing else comes close. Brown and Sharpe, Mitutoyo, and PEC are all excellent but dont have these very easy to read scales.
    Last edited by Vijay Kumar; 08-30-2018 at 1:37 AM.