Thread: Epoxy your garage floor...yes or no?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I would have said no - just another thing I won't be able to keep clean. Then saw some photos in the September Family Handyman magazine. Google this: Metallic Epoxy Garage Floor Paint I doubt I could afford it, but that would be the ultimate.

If it's done correctly the only downfall I know about is it makes the floor more slippery.

Couple of positive things are the look, especially if you get a lighter color it will increase the brightness in the area. It makes sweeping a breeze. Get a nice shop brush, the ones with the fine bristles and you can do a single push clean.

My neighbor did it and said it makes the floor dangerously slippery..

I had my garage done professionally and it's great. They start by grinding the concrete to remove the skin on the concrete that has oil and other stuff on it. Then they lay the epoxy. Before the epoxy sets, they sprinkle some color stuff on the epoxy. The guy has "nail shoes", that is shoes with a bed of nails in the sole so he doesn't leave prints in the epoxy as he walks on the epoxy to spread the sprinkle stuff. The next day, the epoxy is cured and they sweep off the excess sprinkle stuff.

Then a few days later, they come back and put a clear coat on top. It is NOT slippery. I've walked on it wet, with sawdust on it, and never felt that my footing was uncertain.

My shop is in the two car section of the garage and my wife has the remaining one car section. I built a wall between the two sections. Her section is fine, no peeling or other failures.

I would recommend you have it done professionally and check out the reviews of the people who do it. If done right, it's a good looking, long lasting coating for the garage.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Epoxy coatings work very well if you follow the directions. I epoxied my main garage floor 15 years ago. Still looks good today with only minimal wear. This is my parking garage and welding area. Did my shop 10 years ago and RV garage 3 years ago. All look good and no problems with it being slippery.

Blog Entries
    I plan on moving in a year or so and my double car/shop floor is a disaster. What is a reasonable price range for epoxy?

Surface prep is very very important. if it is not clear and proper, grind it (or similar).

I agree with everything mike says. I had mine professionally done and it is wonderful. The chips are key. I epoxied my dads about ten years ago without chips and it WAS slippery when wet.