Thread: What to make of this Jarrah

What to make of this Jarrah

<p>
    I was given this stick of nice figured Jarrah which is only possible because my brother in law brought it from a visit down under. I like it and want to make some kind of useful thing out of it to my workshop but I&#39;m looking for ideas anyone ? It measures 2x2x24 inches</p>
    <p>
    I tried to attach a photo of the stick, but I can&acute;t figure out how ?</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    Last edited by Lasse Hilbrandt; 12-26-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Hi Lasse,
    I thought of some ideas.
    * You could use part of it to make handles for marking knives.
    * You could make a few handles for your favorite chisels
    * You could us it to make a small WOODEN marking gauge in a style like this one. I did so with Purpleheart last year and it is a favorite tool.

Please post pictures of whatever you decide to build!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I edited my OP but now it looks strange ?? my IT fu is gone
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

You could use it to test chisels, planes and plane iron configurations, all the while reminding us that we Stateside folks will never experience such difficult wood in our natural lifetimes and can't possibly understand what you're describing.

Oh wait, it's been done :-)

(Sorry Derek, I couldn't resist. I hugely appreciate your reviews, and it's coming from a place of love)

Blog Entries
    I tried to attach a photo of the stick, but I can&acute;t figure out how ?</p>
    Are you using a new version of a FireFox browser? Not sure if that may be a reason for not being able to post images. Here is a post of mine written for someone else having posting problems:

Start by moving the curser (flashing bar, | < that one isn't flashing, but it will have to do, to where you want the image to appear.

Then click on the icon above the message area that looks like a tree in a window:

Attachment 374596

This will bring up this:

Attachment 374597

It may look different than this if it automatically selected from URL. In that case, click on "From Computer" button.

Then click on Choose File, navigate to the file you want to upload, click "Upload File(s)" Wait and something that looks like this:

Attachment 374598

Lets you know you have had success.

It is easy once you get the hang of it. There is a different method that uses the Paper Clip icon in the Advanced mode. There is an old post of mine in the Tech Support conference to explain this, but it is a bit out dated.

jtk

The images didn't come through in properly in this cut and paste effort. They seem to be okay when clicked, but just incase here is this note. After adding this note and removing the quote block at the end it all seems good.
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-26-2017 at 3:08 PM. Reason: The images didn't come through...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    You could use it to test chisels, planes and plane iron configurations, all the while reminding us that we Stateside folks will never experience such difficult wood in our natural lifetimes and can't possibly understand what you're describing.

Oh wait, it's been done :-)

(Sorry Derek, I couldn't resist. I hugely appreciate your reviews, and it's coming from a place of love)
    Love it!

Regards from Cape Town (for a couple of weeks)

Derek