Thread: Used a Laguna 18bx this weekend

Used a Laguna 18bx this weekend

Looking around online and not finding too many (none actually) first hand accounts of using this saw. Thought I'd share a little info and impressions.

I've used the 14bx and really like that saw. The 18bx feel about the same but perhaps slightly more refined. Dust collection seemed to be great with the two 4" ports. The table is pretty big compared to the 14bx which I enjoyed. I mainly used it for re-sawing 6" wide stock which it cut through without complaint. Cut was super clean and required minimal cleanup only. I believe it was fitted with the Resaw King blade but couldn't saw for certain.

The guides are pretty easy to adjust and I prefer the ceramic style guides rather than bearings so YMMV on that part. Overall setup, seemed straightforward.

One minor gripe was the fence. The fence is quite tall which while great for resewing, proved to be a small annoyance when cutting smaller work pieces because it meant that on something thin, you have to move the guard up pretty high, exposing a lot of blade in order to clear the fence. I'm not sure if a shorter fence comes with it but the one I used had the resaw fence installed.

At over 450lbs, I think I'll be getting the mobility kit for sure when I pick mine up. Woodcraft is starting to get these in stock so if you have a location nearby and are interested, this may be a way to check it out in person before you order.

I liked it well enough that I'll be picking one up.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing your impressions. I think there are a few Creekers that have been waiting several months to get their hands on one. I wonder whether the folks that have them on order are getting them yet.

Assuming there's nothing tragically wrong with the design of this saw, it will probably be my next bandsaw and a great upgrade over my 14" Grizz...unless I can stretch the budget and go Euro of course.

Laguna's website says it has a "Hi/Lo fence".

John

Likewise I'd assume it has the same fence that you can switch orientation on like my 14bx. Thanks for reviewing though! Glad to see it's making it into the wild.

This is an amazing band saw and should make a lot of woodworkers very happy.