Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks again to super glue. (Warning: slightly graphic pic)

I use the veterinary version of the stuff optimized for human tissue. My research indicated there is no difference between the two beyond labeling. Cyanoacrylates for tissue have butyl (four carbons) and / or octyl (eight carbons) chains, rather than the usual two (ethyl). IIRC one reason is that you end up with a more flexible polymer once it's set.

Amazon has it here, or you can search elsewhere for "Vetbond" to find the 3M version.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Cashman View Post
    I use the veterinary version of the stuff optimized for human tissue. My research indicated there is no difference between the two beyond labeling. Cyanoacrylates for tissue have butyl (four carbons) and / or octyl (eight carbons) chains, rather than the usual two (ethyl). IIRC one reason is that you end up with a more flexible polymer once it's set.

Amazon has it here, or you can search elsewhere for "Vetbond" to find the 3M version.
    Are you familiar with Alkoxy-Ethyl based CA? I just made an order with Parsons Adhesive for their 3408 CA. I haven't used it yet but some are using it as a finish for woodturning and other woodworking - low odor, 40 second fixture time instead of the normal 10 seconds or so gives time to apply and wipe off excess with a paper towel. Someone told me this was formulated for medical uses but I haven't seen that in writing anywhere.

BTW, thanks for the info on the Vetbond. I ordered some. Shearing season is here and occasionally a llama or alpaca gets nicked, usually from suddenly moving at the wrong time!

For anyone interested, this is how I store my CA glue bottles, in a sealed container with indicator desiccant beads to keep the moisture away. It would be better to put the whole canister in the fridge but my shop fridge is too small. I recently went to a larger container which makes access easier.

CA_glue_storage_IMG_5481.jpg

JKJ

Hi John,

I'm not familiar with alkoxy-ethyl CA, but it sounds interesting. Are you worried about fires getting substantial amounts on a paper towel? Perhaps it cures slowly enough that the heat isn't an issue. Sounds cool either way, and I like your storage solution. I'll have to get myself a shop fridge some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Cashman View Post
    Hi John,

I'm not familiar with alkoxy-ethyl CA, but it sounds interesting. Are you worried about fires getting substantial amounts on a paper towel? Perhaps it cures slowly enough that the heat isn't an issue. Sounds cool either way, and I like your storage solution. I'll have to get myself a shop fridge some day.
    Frank Penta has been using it for some time and mentioned no issues with fire. I'll call and ask him and do a test with paper towel and cotton cloth when I get some in my hands.

My first thought was the same as yours: since it is slow to set up, perhaps the exothermic reaction is spread out over time and doesn't reach the "smokin" temperatures.

JKJ

Aw shucks! The last picture showed how SMALL the cut really was!!

Haha . Yes, healed up it doesn't look like much (and wasn't overall). It was basically a divot about 3/32 deep, but the taper made it so the feathered edge of the superficial skin part made the real damage look longer and wider. It would have healed without stitches and just a deep nasty scab, but I am mostly impressed that it took after being completely detached.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Aw shucks! The last picture showed how SMALL the cut really was!!

Hey there,Buddy-ro ! You ain't got no cut!!! I cut my left leg all the way off a few years ago,and glued it back on with Krazy Glue. But,somehow my Japanese is fluent now!! O.K.,I made that whole thing up!