Thread: Centauro 600 replacment tire with flaws.. does it look OK to you?

Centauro 600 replacment tire with flaws.. does it look OK to you?

Hi folks
    I just received this replacement Centauro tire for my Griggio SNA600 saw
    Just wondering what the opinion of this tire is ...
    Is this normal, or should I send it back ?
    These flaws are on one side of the tire only, the side furthest away from the rib.

I bought epoxy for the job ...would it fill these gaps ?
    I plan to cut the rib off if it's suitable, so the flawed side can be either side of the wheel.
    It looks easy to do judging by the consistency of the tire ...it's harder than the original rubber on my wheels.
    Also it's not as thick as the original rubber either ....I hope this does not cause problems

Thanks in advance
    Tom
    1.jpgIMG_20170410_170825.jpgIMG_20170410_170952.jpgIMG_20170410_171015.jpg

I wouldn't be happy with it that's for sure, but in practice it probably won't hurt anything. Is it a poly tire or a rubber? And why do you want to cut the groove off as that's what makes these types of tires generally more expensive? If your just going to cut the groove off and epoxy the tire on you probably could have saved a significant amount of money and just got generic replacement tires instead? I have a Delta that uses the grooved blades and to me it's an advantage of the design NOT having to mess around with epoxy or truing tires. Just pop off the old ones pop on the new ones and start cutting again..... but to each their own I guess

As far as the tire thickness it's not a problem, any variation will be made up for in the guides.

good luck,
    JeffD

High Jeff, Its specifically a Centauro tire ...the makers of Minimax
    This is the only 600mm tire I could source on my side of the water, and is rubber.
    My saw is an ACM star 600 and it has no groves in the wheel.
    Tom

What's the consensus that epoxy might work for filling these holes ?
    Thanks
    Tom

Tom:

The (Centauro) factory manual recommends the blade gullet and teeth hang off the tire on the front. Likely you would use no larger than a 1 to 1-1/4" blade. Therefore if that defect is placed on the back it should have no impact.

Like Jeff I too am unclear about the attachment approach you're considering. I'm wondering how successfully you can remove that "tongue" (some call it a rib). Are you planning to put the tire on inside out and what are possible impacts of doing that? What does Griggio recommend? The epoxy doesn't sound right to me ... what about hairspray (ask Rick Fisher). I don't know the answers to these questions!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

The tongue cutting should not be too difficult to do, as it's harder than the rubber on the saw allready.
    Ya, I was thinking of putting it inside out to remove it....might try sanding it, or maybe using a bench grinder
    I know a 90 degree edge AKA a the side of highly lapped plane iron works well, it might require some tension on the tire to work
    I'll see how it goes, I'm not worried about that.

Hairspray is used for the urethane tires as far as I know .
    The epoxy is preferred for larger wheels,36"+ as it has a longer open time according to Van
    Van suggests 3M 1300 rubber and gasket adhesive though.
    I would like to know if the epoxy will fill these voids properly or is the 3M stuff better for this application.
    I allready have bought epoxy 70ml or 79 gram's of it ...might not be enough ?
    Tom

Tom