Thread: Shaker Clock: Lessons Learned

Shaker Clock: Lessons Learned

I recently wrapped up a Shaker clock project and was glad (as always) to see it complete and hung on my entrance foyer wall. There were a few lessons learned here that would better inform the next Shaker clock I attempt. First up was that I didn't make the upper face frame a square. This resulted in needing to make the clock face (the dial) only as wide as the shorter side of the frame. Second was that I shouldn't have carved out the hinge mortises by hand after the case and upper / lower doors were complete. It would have been far easier to rout or dado them in before assembly. Finally, after assembly (but before I put the back on) I realized I needed a better way to access the works to change the battery. I ended up cutting a slot in the bottom of the upper compartment big enough for a hand to reach the battery. Not particularly elegant but a working solution nonetheless.
    I found the dial production interesting. I researched Shaker clock dials, downloaded one I liked, sized it for my needs, and laser printed it on a heavier cream color paper stock.
    C3.JPGC1.JPGC4.JPGC6.JPGC7.JPG

Tim, you did a great job with that clock!!!

And for the record...EVERY project is a learning experience. And that's wonderful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My wife and I have made 8 of the 1840 Shaker Clocks. We used Norm Abrams's plans but had to change the door mortice and tenons as we could not understand the directions. We used mecanical movements.
    Long story short, I would not build another one for a $1000. Too many of the same.
    We cut the hinge mortices before assembly and did some of the finish on the inside also before assembly.
    With the mechanical movements the clock has to be spot on when is comes to plumb and level or it won's run.

@Jim. That is so true. I, for one, find learning new skills to be the core of my enjoyment on many levels.
    This is an interesting topic to me. Each year I try to assess what new skills I'd like to add. I like ones that help me build onto others - for example: dovetail joints or chamfering. I then look for projects that lead me toward that goal. If the new skill requires that I buy a new tool - even better!
    I've been looking for advice on a good order in which to learn new skills but haven't found it yet. Might be a good idea for a thread on this site.