Thread: Which Table Saw to Keep?

Which Table Saw to Keep?

I've mentioned before, I have 3 Craftsman Table Saws from my pre-workshop world. Now I have a wonderful workshop, and I'm working on putting things in here in somewhat of an efficient manner. I also acquired a like new Grizzly 1023S right after my building went up. Now it's time to get rid of two of the other saws, but, which one to keep?
    One is a 113.29991 Craftsman 100 TS.
    Next is a 113.29920 that is identical to the "100", in every way I can tell save for the front nameplate.
    Finally, is a 113.27520.
    All the Saws are on metal stands, and work well.
    I have no real " favorite ". One was for ripping/crosscutting, one for the Dado, and the other for the shaper head.
    A bit of research on the web reveals the 27520 is hailed as the best saw Craftsman ever sold.
    Is this regarded as true, and why?
    The 27520 saw is different under the table than the other two, and it looks like the blade raise/lower gizmo is what is different.
    Any help here is appreciated.
    I'm certain that I don't need 4 table saws, I just want to keep the best one for me!

Nostalgia plays a huge role in our lives, and I sense that may be some of what is influencing you here. I see it in my tools perhaps more than anywhere. I very much enjoy picking up one of my father or grandfather's chisels or planes and using that in a way that conjures up a conversation with them. Same is true with some of my tools that I might have otherwise disposed of. I kept my Unisaw and it's now dedicated to rabbeting, dadoing and box joints. It definitely improves my efficiency, Perhaps you can think of a reason to keep more than one?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thanks Bill! I do have just a select few of my grandfather's hand tools.
    The table saws hold no sentimental value. The "100" was an early 80's tree lawn rescue, and my 1st TS. The other gold one was a garage sale special, and the 113.27520 was a ReStore find.
    I am only gonna keep one. The manual for the Grizzly states they do not recommend using a shaper head on the saw. I make a lot of my own mouldings and such. When I get the 220v out there, I can't see NOT using the Grizzly for most everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Marion Smith View Post
    The manual for the Grizzly states they do not recommend using a shaper head on the saw.

I am not sure why the manual would say that. I used a molding head on my newer G1023RL without issue.

I'd keep the 27520. Just because they look cool.
    good review here...

http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net...113-27520.html

Quote Originally Posted by Marion Smith View Post
    A bit of research on the web reveals the 27520 is hailed as the best saw Craftsman ever sold.
    Is this regarded as true, and why?
    Not exactly.

That was the best saw Craftsman sold UP UNTIL THAT DATE. (The late 1950's.)
    From my research, all of the 113.27XXX versions that followed had the same "industrial" features. The 113.27970 I had certainly did. And yes, it was very solid, very accurate.

Of course, it's still not the equal of a good vintage cabinet saw such as a Unisaw, but they are definitely well-built workhorses.
    ---------------------------

BTW, if I were you and keeping one of these, I'd replace the silly little hand wheel with a large cast iron one from Grizzly.

I'd also add a link belt, as they work well on 1-pulley machines and these saws are somewhat prone to vibration. (Even the 113.27 series)

Also, if you haven't already, check out the "PALS" alignment system:
    http://in-lineindustries.com/product...ctor-saw-pals/
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 10-25-2015 at 4:01 PM.

Thats a personal decision of whats most important/pleasing to YOU....
    Jerry

8. I hate to say this, but I would get rid of all three. You have a Grizzly cabinet saw that will do anything you need it to do. I would suggest saving that floor space for another machine that you need forthcoming that will fit a need. One can never have enough floor space. But, if you really need the second table saw, I would probably look for another cabinet style saw, they don't take up any more room that the 3 you are considering. You can also butt them up next to each other and use the extension tables as work space when not being used.