Thread: Where can I find an adapter bushing for a Delta benchtop mortiser?

Where can I find an adapter bushing for a Delta benchtop mortiser?

I have a Delta 14-650 hollow chisel mortiser. It uses the standard Delta 5/8" shank chisels, which limits it's capacity to 1/2". I would like to have the option to use it for larger diameter mortises.

I've noticed that most of the standard mortisers from other companies utilize a 3/4" shank chisel, instead of Delta's 5/8" shank, and that there are a lot of companies producing 3/4" shank bits.

My machine uses a 25mm o.d. (.984) bushing, with an I.D. of 5/8" (.625) where the chisel's fit into the mortiser.

CMT's 3/4" shank bits on Amazon reference that an adapter bushing is required to use their chisels with my Delta machine, however I can't find one listed anywhere.

Does anybody know where I can purchase an adapter bushing?

Thx.

Scott

Scott,
    The CMT web site or the catalog doesn't list any bushings, just the Mortise chisel & bit sets. You may have to get it made locally.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Resurrecting a dinosaur thread. I am in the same predicament today. Scott, or anybody, other than custom machining, are there adapter bushings available for the Delta mortiser?

Can you post a picture of a 'bushing' and a drawing of what you want ?

b7O0NYqb.jpg

Thanks, Marion. This is the bushing I am referencing. It has an inside diameter of 5/8" and an outside diameter of 1", and it supports the shank of the chisel in my Delta 14-650 T2 mortiser. What I would like is the same piece with an inside diameter of 3/4" so I could use hollow mortising bits of that diameter.

Is it 1.000 on the O.D. or .984 ? Also need to know the over all length, diameter of the cross hole, where the center of the cross hole goes and the thickness and diameter of the flange. I will also need a precise measurement of the shanks on the mortising bits. A .750 shank will not fit in a .750 hole. Same with the O.D. of the bushing and the bore on your mortiser. Micrometer measurements are a must, a scale won't do it in this case.
    Last edited by Marion Smith; 06-01-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Well, you've made measure twice. That's what my Dad always told me to do to begin with. ;-)

You are correct, when I put the calipers on the OD, and set it to a digital readout, it does indeed register 0.984 O.D. Overall length is 1.142. I get 0.405 for the diameter of the cross hole which is centered at 0.5 from the flange end. The flange is 0.125 thick with a flange diameter of 1.1825. The shank of the bits comes in at 0.745 diameter. For the bore on the mortiser, I get 0.985. The OD on the "bore" of the mortiser is tough as it is a conical shape, part of the housing of the machine.

I didn't see this before replying to the other thread. I'd be willing to bet that the Jet JBM-5 bushings will work. Readily available.
    earl

Blog Entries
    I made an identical bushing from a 1" flanged oilite bearing. You can easily file down the O.D. to fit into the mortiser housing.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would check large hardware or tool stores that used to carry Delta stuff. There is a place near me that has a repair shop in the store (Tools R Us). They may very well still have some of those around. I would also check at Porter Cable repair centers. I have picked up some out of date stuff there too. Battels hardware in Whittier CA. was a BIG Delta supplier. Maybe give them a jingle......ah, text, e-mail...contact them.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I found this link in another thread. Might have the answer! http://www.drill-bushings.com/index.htm

Toolpartsdirect.com says they have 'em. Part # 1346469 $5.86. However, it says "ships in 30-120 business days". I'm not sure that inspires confidence.

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/delta...er-14-650.html

One thing I'd check on before ordering from drill-bushing.com, make sure they're not too hard to be able to drill the cross hole. I don't know if bushings like that are hardened or not.