Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about moving tools. what's a good way to do this?

Personally I hire it out. It will certainly be more than $50, but is still cheaper than hurting your back.

But 350 isn't all that heavy, especially if you can strip it down. I moved a 400 pound lathe by myself by breaking it down into 4 pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    You can rent a truck with a lift gate. Add appliance rollers and you can move almost anything.

Mike
    +1

and rent a palette jack. Put your tools on palettes. Easy to move and more stable

Rental will be around $150.

You might also take this opportunity to put your heavy stuff on mobile bases. It would be around $50 for each machine but makes your shop easily reconfigurable.

I recently moved all of my shop tools into the basement shop, via the stairs and a hand truck. Moved a 3hp unisaw, a 6+6 rockwell drill press, a F1000 Hitachi planer jointer, and a rockwell 12x36 wood lathe that has a home made laminated wood beam base as well as tool boxes, etc. I disassembled each tool, including the unisaw into moderate sized chunks and hauled them down the three stair cases (about 20 steps total) and put them back together. The drill press works great. Will test the others as soon as the 125amp sub panel is connected and circuits run.

It was neither easy to move or reassemble, but worked out just fine.

The worst was my tool chest (the small one) which nearly got away from me on the stairs (not OSHA approved stair case). We moved to Logan Utah 18 months ago, in anticipation of retirement (April 2014).

Although I had help moving all my "stuff" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...06#post2157806) ONTO the trailer and the truck when I moved my swag down to Mississippi I UNLOADED and moved it all around on my own. Tricky things were the planer and bandsaw.

I use an overhead hoist, judicious strapping and ton's of caution. I then drop them onto a platform made of an appropriate size pallet often with a Harbor Freight moving dolly or two underneath them. I find these dollies ($7 and less on sale) are cheaper than casters by themselves. If I don't put moving dollies underneath I move them around w/ a pallet jack.

Try and find a place you can hook up an overhead hoist, the HF 1 ton manual hoist is only $60 or less, on sale and coupons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves