Thread: Grizzly dust collector question

Grizzly dust collector question

I have a question about my Grizzly dust collector - the canister filter polar bear model.

When I turn the handle, I can clearly see dust coming up into the air - seems like that would be counterintuitive, as it's a very small micron filter...

The first one I had was much worse, but I had it replaced, and this one seems better - but it still billows dust when I crank the handle...just using it with normal tools (only hooked up to my mitre saw, so far).

Is this normal?

Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew Jordan; 04-21-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling error in title

no-one has any input on this?

You say you see dust on the outside of the cartridge when you crank the beater bar? Not normal.

That means large micron dust has passed through the filter (visible dust is ≥ 7.5 microns). That also means finer dust, invisible to the eye (≤ 7.5 Microns) is also passing though the filter. Dust .5 - 10 microns in size is considered hazardous to your health. That means your filter is crappy and not a fine micron filter, or the beater bar has damaged the media so that this dust can pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    You say you see dust on the outside of the cartridge when you crank the beater bar? Not normal.

That means large micron dust has passed through the filter (visible dust is ≥ 7.5 microns). That also means finer dust, invisible to the eye (≤ 7.5 Microns) is also passing though the filter. Dust .5 - 10 microns in size is considered hazardous to your health. That means your filter is crappy and not a fine micron filter, or the beater bar has damaged the media so that this dust can pass through.
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean...I see dust in the air when I crank the bar - especially in bright light...and there's a 'film' of dust when I run my hand on the outside.

This is a replacement Grizzly filter that they provided under warranty, after the first one showed the exact same issue (although that one was damaged in shipping - so I assumed that was the reason for the dust issue)...

It's a Grizzly filter, 1 micron, and has only been used with a mitre saw, which is using a regular blade and cutting only SPF lumber.

What can I even do? I assume all the Grizzly filters would have the same defect?? They already replaced it once...

When I replaced my filter, got it from Wynn Environmental. He has good filters, and proper recommendations. Search for his site.

I wonder if it is possible that the cranking of the handle is shaking the filter enough that dust that has settled on the outside of the filter is being re-suspended?

Running a Dylos meter while operating the DC would tell you for sure if there are any leaks.

Personally, I think beater bars are a bad idea.

They are a band aid solution to the problem too much dust getting past the cyclone separator (cyclone or other). You see all kinds from solid bars, bristle brushes, flexible flapper, etc. The truth is that while they may knock caked on dust off the inside of the filter, they can also force off some of it deep into the media and also cause damage- larger openings- and force some of it through the media.

Your filter may be "rated" at 1 micron only when it is heavy seasoned with dust- clean it with the beater bar and you turn it into a 10 or 25 micron filter? Also, just because the DC manufacturer says it is a 1 micron filter doesn't make it so! It may not be the DC manufacturer's fault- he doesn't make the filter, he gets it from another supplier and likely taking the supplier's word about the specs. As Phil says, check it with a Dylos.

Solutions- vibrators that shake the entire cartridge, but do not touch the filter media (still likely cause some damage), or forgo the filter, except during the most extreme weather, and discharge outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Personally, I think beater bars are a bad idea.

They are a band aid solution to the problem too much dust getting past the cyclone separator (cyclone or other). You see all kinds from solid bars, bristle brushes, flexible flapper, etc. The truth is that while they may knock caked on dust off the inside of the filter, they can also force off some of it deep into the media and also cause damage- larger openings- and force some of it through the media.

Your filter may be "rated" at 1 micron only when it is heavy seasoned with dust- clean it with the beater bar and you turn it into a 10 or 25 micron filter? Also, just because the DC manufacturer says it is a 1 micron filter doesn't make it so! It may not be the DC manufacturer's fault- he doesn't make the filter, he gets it from another supplier and likely taking the supplier's word about the specs. As Phil says, check it with a Dylos.

Solutions- vibrators that shake the entire cartridge, but do not touch the filter media (still likely cause some damage), or forgo the filter, except during the most extreme weather, and discharge outside.
    I live in Canada, so that would only be a solution for a month or two a year! We still have snow on the ground (hopefully it'll be gone this week) and about five feet of ice still on the lake.

Some good advice already given, but just to present another option...Are you doing a lot of sanding or is it more of a mixture of different operations? What are you finding in the filter (fines, big chips, both, alot of it)?

If you send a steady diet of sanding fines to a cyclone, a higher percentage of dust will make it to the filter. If you have a lot of dust in the filter, the filter life may be shortened. A higher quality filter may work better, but may not totally fix the problem. If there are too many fines or too much dust getting past the cyclone, the problem may be at the cyclone, not the filter.

Just another angle to pursue, maybe you have already checked this out.

Mike

Mike