Thread: Help finding wheel locking mechanism

Help finding wheel locking mechanism

I'm not even sure what to call it! I want to make a rolling cart that is substantial enough for my wife to use as a cutting board, and to place heavy items she needs to move around the house. Making the cart is easy enough. My problem is finding something that will allow her to lock the wheels. She's in a wheelchair and not able to work a normal locking wheel that has a lever on the wheel itself. What I want is something that attaches to the upper portion of the cart that can be used to lock the cart in place. Appreciate any help or advice.
    Thanks.
    Greg

Greg, what sort of wheels do you have in mind to use for this cart? How big would the cart be? How much hand and arm strength does she have?

This is kind of interesting. No idea how much these things cost. There is also a Finnish caster company called Manner who make central locking casters with electronic lockouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKFupbD1CJs

Greg, I forgot the name BUT there is a company that helps the handicap people by making items for them that will made their lives easier,I am sure that they could design a mount for a bicycle brake cable that would work

Could you use some De-Sta-Co clamps with long extensions?
    I've seen pictures of mobile bases using them to lock the base in place.
    Rick W

Could you adapt one of the wheel chair locks such as those on allegro medical dot com?
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-20-2014 at 3:55 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

this link got A PROBLEM , I try 3 times and a pop-up kept coming back

Gentlemen:
    These are great ideas! I really appreciate it. For some answers:

Dave R.: wheel size/type will depend on whether I can work out this locking problem. Likely nothing more than a 3 - 4 inch diameter wheel will be needed. Overall size of the cart will be about 24" square x 24" high. And her hand/arm strength are about normal.

David B: that youtube video is terrific. Thanks for passing it along.

Ray, Rick, and Dick: thank you for your ideas. They've sparked some other thoughts on how this might come together. I hadn't thought of it till now, but it might be possible to adapt something from a walker that has hand breaks. If so, it could be a simple and elegant solution!!

Again, I really appreciate it.
    Greg

How about something like this?

It is a dual locking caster. It has a brake lock, plus there is a pin that inserts into a set of gears when locked to keep it from swiveling. Orange Borg has them for about $10 each.