Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Purchase at Harbor Freight?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I buy clamps and other disposable items. I have tried some tools, but it is hit or miss.
    i forgot to mention earlier, I have HD aluminum bar clamps (maybe 10 years old -- blue heads, rectangular aluminum tube, tail clicks on notches to adjust to rough length) and they are very good. I see the same clamp in different colors wearing other companies' names at way higher prices.

The HF quick clamps that are black and neon orange are junk. I've dropped two of them on concrete floor and the head snapped off. (I seem to have a knack for breaking HF stuff by dropping it.)

If it's a critical technical item, I'd stay away from it. There was a very thorough "Garage something" review of storage cabinets. Based on number of ball bearings per drawer, etc., HF's top brand storage unit: US General came out on top. So, I go there on occasion for items that aren't "critical" but I know them well and can make an informed judgement about them. For instance: I bought this $3.00 Helping Hands (coupons of course for everything) to assist me in doing some soldering. Would have paid a lot more at Radio Shack. I bought some different types of sand blasting compounds. When looking for a 2 HP 20 gal compressor, I could have chosen one of theirs, but stayed away. Maybe I paid a lot more $$$, but I have peace of mind with the well known and respected brand I did buy.

20140109_015951.jpg
    Last edited by Don Morris; 01-09-2014 at 2:15 AM.

Absolutely nothing. I got burned bad in the 1980's. Customer service tried to fix the problem but their solution resulted in getting stung twice, then I was blamed for their inferior product being my fault and insulted to boot.

I black-listed them. I don't need or want crap, especially theirs.
    Last edited by Jeff Erbele; 01-09-2014 at 3:29 PM.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I've bought a number of items from HF over the last few years, but the couple of times I've bought power equipment, I've ended up getting rid of them.

I buy smalls mostly. 2-part epoxy, gloves, wire ties, lots of wooden handscrew clamps (Pretty hard to make badly!), a worktable that has lasted for 7 years and is exactly the same height as my TS table so I can use it as an outfeed. Moving blankets, tarps, disposable small tool sets, rubber mallets, bungee cords, etc. Nothing major, and no more power equipment, but for disposable or simple things, they can't be beat.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

I forgot about the toolboxes. I bought one of the $170 carts last fall. Its a really nice piece, better than anything Sears sells anymore. Same with the big red tool boxes. If I was buying new toolboxes today, that's probably what I'd get. I've seen claims that unless you want to spend many times more and get something from a tool truck, the HF toolboxes are the best thing out there, and even then you might not be getting that much better quality--seems even the big money brands have slipped.

I've also seen some claims (and not much argument) that for basic hand tools HF is getting to be a good choice for the DIYer. It seems their quality has taken a big step forward over the past few years while the likes of Craftsman and other consumer brands have taken a few steps back. I've thought about putting together a second set of tools so I can have one in the garage and one in the shop and I'd probably seriously consider it. Especially now that there's a store 10 miles from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I bought the 2 ton engine lift and use is for lifting equipment and such. It works well but just like any other hoist or lift, never put myself in a position where it can fall on me. It has been great for moving things around like a cabinet saw by myself.
    I have the engine hoist as well, and for the same purpose. We use their appliance hand truck more though. 600# capacity for $89.99 - 20%-25% off with the coupons that are everywhere.

That reminds me about my favorite HF tool which I completely forgot.

It's a 1400# electric winch that I have hung from a 6X12 in the garage. It is great for unloading tools off the back of my pickup. As I remember, the heaviest tool I have loaded was about 1000 pounds. I just back the truck in, lift the tool a few inches, drive out, put a mobile base under it, drop the tool down, and roll it out.

The perfect gift for anyone who wants to save his back.

Here's a couple pics. Not the best, but all I have. I had to take the RAS apart, because it was too tall to back into the garage, even after letting the air out of the tires. You cannot actually see the hoist, it's up above.

P9120149.jpg P9120150.jpg P9120151.jpg P9120152.jpg
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-09-2014 at 12:41 PM.

I bought one of these last year, and was very impressed...still am:

http://www.harborfreight.com/roller-...ity-68784.html

I believe it's made in China and is one of just a small handful of products I've bought from China in the last couple of years. Harbor Freight carries a lot of JUNK, and some of their power tools are just downright dangerous....routers with collets that vibrate loose come to mind...buyer beware. This particular item is almost as nice as my heavy duty Craftsman cabinet and I'd recommend it to anyone without reservation. The 3 big drawers can hold about 75lbs each and the little drawers about 60lbs each.

What's the catch? My Craftsman chest can hold 100lbs per drawer...period. If I were a pro mechanic and wanted to fill it up to the top with metal, I'd have something in the Craftsman/Snap-On/MAC brands, depending on my specific needs. For a general use tool cabinet that's not going to be packed with tools? It's hard to beat this particular unit.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 01-09-2014 at 1:42 PM.

John,

I was in Harbor Freight today to purchase an inexpensive tarp and hole saws and looked at those tool cabinets. They are very impressive and have bearing slides on them. They surpass the American made cabinets in my garage by quite a long shot.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    John,

I was in Harbor Freight today to purchase an inexpensive tarp and hole saws and looked at those tool cabinets. They are very impressive and have bearing slides on them. They surpass the American made cabinets in my garage by quite a long shot.
    Today : I got some $2.oo tarps , a few $8.oo dollies , "Blow Out Sale" , I went for the dollies , been waiting on them dropped to that price
    re-arranging the garage needed dollies to stage stuff , Hey those hex , allan , torx hand drivers were a steal
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I bought a used Harbor Freight tool cart that was basically new. Very nice quality. I ended up selling it because it didn't work for what I wanted to use it for. No fault of the tool cart.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I bought one of these last year, and was very impressed...still am:

http://www.harborfreight.com/roller-...ity-68784.html

[snip]...If I were a pro mechanic and wanted to fill it up to the top with metal, I'd have something in the Craftsman/Snap-On/MAC brands, depending on my specific needs. For a general use tool cabinet that's not going to be packed with tools? It's hard to beat this particular unit.
    John, coincidentally, I was in HF a couple of weeks ago with a buddy who is a pro mechanic, retired a few years ago. His tool cabinets are either Snap-On or MAC, can't recall which. He stopped short when he saw that base cabinet, and the companion cabinet that fits on top. He was very impressed. First reaction was that it rivaled his professional cabinets, then decided the ball-bearing slides may not be quite as heavy duty. But he wasn't sure of that, and still wouldn't have hesitated to go with it if he had a need. I think HF has upped their game with that line of cabinets.

David
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 01-11-2014 at 7:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    That reminds me about my favorite HF tool which I completely forgot.

It's a 1400# electric winch that I have hung from a 6X12 in the garage. It is great for unloading tools off the back of my pickup.
    We've had the HF 880 lb electric winch permanently mounted over the hayloft door of our barn, just inside, for ten years. We use it four or five times a year to lower and raise our hay elevator, which stays in the loft out of the elements. It's never missed a beat.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    John, coincidentally, I was in HF a couple of weeks ago with a buddy who is a pro mechanic, retired a few years ago. His tool cabinets are either Snap-On or MAC, can't recall which. He stopped short when he saw that base cabinet, and the companion cabinet that fits on top. He was very impressed. First reaction was that it rivaled his professional cabinets, then decided the ball-bearing slides may not be quite as heavy duty. But he wasn't sure of that, and still wouldn't have hesitated to go with it if he had a need. I think HF has upped their game with that line of cabinets.

David
    I think I got mine during some sort of uber sale. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was sickeningly low...even less than the current sale, I believe. I'm pretty sure it was less than $300. Then I happened to be hanging out with a my friend Mike, and it turns out that he had bought one too, with a side cabinet. He didn't want the side cabinet, so I took that off his hands for $100, I think. He just wanted it gone and didn't want to have to give it away.

All in all, I did pretty well on this particular purchase. I'm considering getting the other side drawers before they do something stupid, like discontinue it.

I think the general gist is the crinkled red paint ones were pretty darn good, the glossy red paint ones they stepped it up a notch.