Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I know what is causing my banding problem - software or firmware bug.

The 200ppi source and the Gold Method are the better results, in my opinion. What you want out of the picture determines which you prefer. For most of what my customers want, the Gold Method would be the better option. That said, I use PhotoGrav and get results similar to the Gold Method.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'm not overly impressed with any of them.
    My goal was to compare line screens at various DPIs with each other and with error-diffusion. I can work on other issues like shadow detail now.
    Triumph TR-9060 with 5200 Chiller and 100 watt Z4 RECI.

Robert, is this not what I said a few days ago? That it was an issue with the DPI.

I guess if you have your own ideas of what is causing your problem, then you should exhaust those option before asking for advice.

Bruce
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

A laser is not a a photo printer - that it can do pics is a huge bonus , but you ain't gonna get what you would out of a cheap 300dpi laser printer.
    We use photgrav for pics , no fiddling and they come out great on whatever substrate (Gold method basically mimics what Photograv does)
    But then again , we aren't tinkers.. I have a commercial operation so need to do it right 1st time.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dorworth View Post
    Robert, is this not what I said a few days ago? That it was an issue with the DPI.

I guess if you have your own ideas of what is causing your problem, then you should exhaust those option before asking for advice.

Bruce
    The machine ran out of memory without giving an error. I can't find where you said that was a potential problem. If you did, let me know. The manufacturer told me that after I asked them what it could be, and my tests verified it. This thread being here may help the next person.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    A laser is not a a photo printer - that it can do pics is a huge bonus , but you ain't gonna get what you would out of a cheap 300dpi laser printer.
    Yeah. Last night I used my laser printer to compare line screens to diffusion dither. It was interesting. At 300 DPI the 100 line screen had serious quantizing error. The 75 was not bad. I liked the 50-60 the best - which is actually what 300 DPI laser printers tend to use.

The diffusion method was ok after I lightened the source image, but it was very noisy - and I can't say that I preferred it.

It appears that most of the marketing efforts touting frequency-modulated half-toning methods only compare them to "standard" line-screen sizes and then use a press with high resolution to show a how an FM image is better. What they don't do is use the highest screen that the printer was capable of. That is misleading but seems to be unnoticed.
    Last edited by Robert Silvers; 10-21-2013 at 9:48 AM.