Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evolution of Revelation: "Awakening"

1. That's a beautiful piece Rick, I imagine it looks even better than the pics can show, a rainbow of interesting alive colors, seems like this would take quite a high degree of skill to get right. Great job.

Dennis, that's super cool! I am going to have to give the House of Kolor Clear a shot too. Supposedly the PPG is one of the nicest clear coat polys to spray, It's used on high end restorations and custom paint jobs. I've been told that it's the perfect viscocity and it goes on thick but sticks perfectly.

The HoK has definitely piqued my interest though and I will have to try it, It sounds like a slick way to finish. I would think that the epoxy finish would be more durable as well. I'll keep you up to date with what I find, I need to go place an order now

jwjerry, Thank you!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

They just released a new two part clear. I like the finished results a little better, but it stinks horribly and is really sticky to work with. I would start out with the tried and true version first.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Hey Rick, What I do when dying is mix the dyes with DNA, dye the piece in the pattern I want with hard butt up lines, the take a rag with straight DNA and blend the colors. It erases the hard butt line and make a new color with the combo. Here is my rough gouge handle I did like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This piece I painted with a watercolor brush

The Transtint dyes were dissolved in water. I've used both alcohol and water and other than drying time it's really a wash for me. Water is cheap and I don't mind the extra drying time, I'm not in a hurry.
    Last edited by Rick Markham; 07-07-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I agree, water or DNA, for the most part work the same. When I am soaking dye from the inside out, I think DNA works better. Some people don't like water because it raises the grain, but I end up sanding more anyway so there is no diff. I am working on an White Oak bowl at the moment and will use steel wool soaked in vinegar to blacken the bowl, then I'll sand it and hope to just end up with black strips where it soaked into the grain deeper.

Rick,

This is a really beautiful piece.

Too often, wood colouring and dyeing is used to add interest to an otherwise bland or unremarkable piece of wood. To see it done well, as it is here, on an already stunning piece of wood, is a killer combination. Outstanding.

I need to finish mucking around with metal so I can get back to the wood!

Lee

Thank you Lee