Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bending Shoe Molding for Curved Wall

Bending Shoe Molding for Curved Wall

What suggestions do you have to bend a 3/4" shoe molding for a curved bay window wall? I believe the radius is approximately 4' and the length of molding is approximately 7' in this area. The molding is made from soft maple.

I've tried soaking the molding with water and then quickly installing but that stick broke. I've considered making kerf cuts along the length of the molding on the back side, every couple of inches, but I'm not sure if that would work either. I'm trying to avoid buying the plastic, flexible molding suited for these types of situations.

Thanks,
    Brett

Steam.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Might be able to plane the backside of the trim removing some of the beef. With the back almost flat leaving front profile intact, careful installation to match up with the straight runs, sort of like a mini crown molding.
    We did same with 5/8" oak shoe around a curved hearth, it will roll some but should be able to get pretty close without noticeable deformity.

Pine might make that bend.

If I was going to kerf it, I'd kerf the front so they close with the bend but use a very fine saw with a very narrow kerf (like the Veritas flexible flush cutting saw) and make lots of them. You could experiment with the depth and closeness of the kerfs on a scrap to try to get them to close tightly when pressed into the bend.

Of course filling and sanding that would be fun. Not

If is just the one piece - - you could maybe nail the center in place, and using a heat gun, work your way to the ends, nailing as you go. Predrill for the nails or you may end up doing all over again. Regular shoe molding should make that bend, I would think. Good Luck.

Russ

Brett. If you can protect the floor and make a jig, you could use the wall as your form and laminate 6 thin pieces, let it dry for 24 hours using yellow glue. After it is dry, remove it from the form and clean it up. Several companies make router bits with a base shoe profile. You have to have a router table for the bit and a jointer to clean up your stock.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I'd do a lamination, thickened epoxy works well because it requires low pressure, make a foam inside caul or just put blocks every so often and nail the trim to the base with wax paper as a separation. Protect the floor well. Make it a little tall so you can plane it flush, get it close enough so jointer is not neccessary. Then mold with a router. Or use flex moldings or polyurethane molding for the curve if it's paint grade, poly can be heat bent with a heat gun.

Four foot radius? I'd expect shoe molding to bend around that. I'd look for molding with nice straight grain, not wild grain that cuts across the molding.

As Jamie said, find a piece or make a piece with straight grain. A trick that has worked for me is to put filament tape on the back side of the shoe. If those fail, laminate a piece.

As Tony said, you need steam. About an hour in a steam box and it will go around that curve no problem. Kerfing never produces acceptable results, IMO.

Steam or lamination or Woolite. If you soak the wood in Woolite it will become pliable. What's in Woolite? Ammonia?

No ammonia listed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolite

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I have no idea if the Woolite would help bend wood.In my youth I tested grocery store ammonia for bending wood ,its useless. Anhydrous ammonia works,is dangerous,and probably hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Bobo View Post
    What suggestions do you have to bend a 3/4" shoe molding for a curved bay window wall? I believe the radius is approximately 4' and the length of molding is approximately 7' in this area. The molding is made from soft maple.

I've tried soaking the molding with water and then quickly installing but that stick broke. I've considered making kerf cuts along the length of the molding on the back side, every couple of inches, but I'm not sure if that would work either. I'm trying to avoid buying the plastic, flexible molding suited for these types of situations.

Thanks,
    Brett
    Kerf'ing wont work because you will be kerfing just a corner of the material and then it wont bend on the floor plane but rather on an angle in relation to the face of the shoe. As Tom said it will "roll". Anytime Ive tried it on a fairly tight radius even with small trim its been a less than desirable outcome and wound up in the burn pile.

A lot of depends on whether its stain grade or painted trim. You mention PVC and bending trims so I am assuming its paint. If its painted I would cut your losses and buy a piece of PVC trim. If its not available a piece of PVC and a router bit or two and make a reasonable match.

If its stain I would laminate or segment and route but it would have to be one juicy piece of shoe. Your talking about a piece of shoe molding that will be worth hundreds of dollars when your done.

Try this place http://flexiblemouldingconcepts.com/...g/?per_page=20

may cost a little more but its worth it

Jim