Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Need guidance on new shop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Stags View Post
    Ole,

Did you do the sawdust test on your laminate floor?
    Oh, man, you covered up those neat wood beams with drywall. But it it still looking pretty fine.

I just ran down and got a handful of sawdust from my dust bin under the cyclone and sprinkled it over the laminate. It was a bit slipperier than sawdust on troweled concrete, but I think it will be livable. Now I wasn't wearing leather soled shoes, I had my rubber soled tennis shoes on. I tend to keep my floor fairly clean with my dust collection system and I sweep up what doesn't get caught. And the Pergo has some tooth to it, not like some that is as smooth as a piece of paper. I don't imagine it is any worse than a nice wood shop floor that has been sanded and topped with varnish. The nice thing is that it sweeps up much easier than concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Oh, man, you covered up those neat wood beams with drywall. But it it still looking pretty fine.

I just ran down and got a handful of sawdust from my dust bin under the cyclone and sprinkled it over the laminate. It was a bit slipperier than sawdust on troweled concrete, but I think it will be livable. Now I wasn't wearing leather soled shoes, I had my rubber soled tennis shoes on. I tend to keep my floor fairly clean with my dust collection system and I sweep up what doesn't get caught. And the Pergo has some tooth to it, not like some that is as smooth as a piece of paper. I don't imagine it is any worse than a nice wood shop floor that has been sanded and topped with varnish. The nice thing is that it sweeps up much easier than concrete.
    Yes - the beams are covered... I wasn't expecting that, but apparently the drywall guys didn't get the message. Oh well - not even going to bother having them take the drywall off the beams as I can certainly live with it. Thanks for the results of your sawdust test. I am about 95% sure I will use laminate in the shop.
    - Lou

Making some nice progress!

* electric is finished
    * drywall finished

It is incredibly bright in the shop. I love it! Almost too bright actually. I may have slightly "over-engineered" how many lights I needed/wanted.

Next steps will be slapping some Ultra Pure White paint on the wall, and then putting down the flooring. After that I move in the tools and start making some sawdust (trying anyway)!

IMG_0293.jpgIMG_0295.jpgIMG_0296.jpgIMG_0297.jpgIMG_0298.jpgIMG_0299.jpgIMG_0300.jpg
    - Lou

Painting is finished. Next step will be flooring. After that I can start moving everything in.

IMG_0316.jpgIMG_0318.jpgIMG_0320.jpgIMG_0321.jpgIMG_0323.jpgIMG_0324.jpg
    - Lou

Getting close, Lou!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Getting close, Lou!
    Maybe not Mike. There is a pretty good chance we may be relocating out-of-state. My house may be on the market in the next few weeks!!! It is an unexpected great opportunity, but it will be very bitter sweet.
    - Lou

No way! Not after all that! You have to cut SOMETHING in there...at least one non pine piece of wood...
    I drink, therefore I am.

No way! Not after all that! You have to cut SOMETHING in there...at least one non pine piece of wood...
    Yep - about 99% sure we are outta here! I am sad I won't be able to enjoy the shop or the house we just built... but I am very excited about our new opportunity. Finding a great shop space is tops on my list as the new house hunt begins.

My wife wants to build again, but I am not sure I want to go down that road.
    - Lou

Hey, look on the bright side...build a new house...build a new shop...you get a whole new thread!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hey, look on the bright side...build a new house...build a new shop...you get a whole new thread!
    It is now 100% confirmed. We will be putting the house up for sale and moving. Very sad I won't get to do anything in this shop but looking forward to finding a new space.
    - Lou

Best of luck, Lou. Hope your new place is already "shop equipped".
    I drink, therefore I am.

First get the lighting and electrical outlets right, 220 ? Get a bigger door. There are some online places where you can lay out a shop, look at a plan, change it and then print out the final plan. (Free) Close off potential dust drafts. And there is never enough storage in a shop; some of it should roll.

Well - here are the final pics of "the shop". I am sad that I won't ever do anything in there. Hopefully the next guy enjoys it!

IMG_0499.jpgIMG_0500.jpgIMG_0501.jpgIMG_0502.jpg
    - Lou

Lou, it is going to be a knitting room...you know that, don't you?
    I drink, therefore I am.

You know how to hurt a guy, Mike.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!