Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: any beers I should try?

You can try one of my favorite two beers: Free and (or) Cold.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    Diving into the world of beers I've found a few I like and alot I don't, any that you suggest trying?

I like lagers, some ales like golden monkey or guiness ale, or creamy ales. Absolutely no IPA's or stoudts .
    You ought to drop by Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown. It's right down route 30 from Paradise and around the corner from Woodcraft. Just make sure you stop by Woodcraft before hitting the brewery...

If anyone can get a hold of Bells Brewery "Oberon" it is very good. Bells is located in Kalamazoo Michigan and has developed quite a following. Oberon is only produced in the Spring / Summer but if you can get a hold of it, try it.

I was formally in the bar business and have tried my share. Day in and day out Oberon would be my choice.
    Not affiliated in any way except by purchases.
    Epilog 45 watt, Graphtec cutter-plotter, Corel Graphics Suite X3 - X4, HP and Vaio computers, woodshop.

"Trust, but Verify"

Bell's is a great brewery. I'm from WI, so I too second the New Glarus recommendation. However, if you can try any Southern Tier from NY, it is across the board excellent.

Fresh is absolutley better, and straight from the vat at the brewery to the tap at the bar can't be beat. I used to live in MT, and the brewpup in Missoula in the old train station was a treat.

Like anything, you have to get around all the marketing and merchandising with the label design and catchy names. However, when you know that you have brewed a good beer and are proud of it, you naturally want to get people to try it and thus get creative with naming it it. I have tasted a lot of crappy beers tho' with catchy names.

Anything by Samuel Smith http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/;not to be confused with Samuel Adams which are merely good, just notgreat. These were the beer's that informed that not all beer is created equal.

Belgian Ales; darn near any are all great. Blue Moon is one you will find widely distributed in the US. Belgian ales are my personal favorite.

Wheat Beers,can be very good.

Get a copy of Michael Jackson’s (not the guy who moon danced) "Beers of the World", it will give you a good start.

Brew your own; you can make as good as you can buy at half the price and variations that are not even commercially marketed.
    Last edited by Paul Canaris; 03-10-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    It's more than just Guinness. I believe the delivery system is the main reason some people dislike stouts and porters. They drink them too cold and too fizzy.

There's a big brewpub here in Denver, one of the oldest, Wynkoop Brewing (say Win-coop). The stouts and such are on a different system and are pumped by hand at the tap; the beer isn't pushed via pressurized gas. I forget what they call it, but it delivers the dark stuff without adding any fizz. It just flows out of the tap as they pump the handle. Anyway....the stouts are rich and full of flavor because it's not coming out of a fridge. Basement temp beer....room temperture glass....that's how you want to greet your stout.

So Curtis.... If you find yourself in a pub that can offer you a "proper" stout, try it again. The richness and creaminess is not there when it's too cold.
    I agree it is all about the delivery. For some reason a Dos Equis tastes better sitting on a warm beach in Cabo.

My favorite. Always go back to this for general purpose, at home, amusement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcbasIb8lQ
    Of course, what do I know with 40+ years of satisfaction. Now don't get me wrong. I try new brews ALL THE TIME. I love Guinness, Sam Adams, Fat Tire, Grain Belt Premium, Becks, Bass Ale, blah blah blah. Lighter the beer = colder it should be in my opinion, but that's my taste. That's why I keep the Bud at nearly freezing, and the Guinness is served cool in Ireland but not room temp.
    By the way, great subject matter and commentary here in these postings - just proves everyone is different and variety is the spice of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    My favorite. Always go back to this for general purpose, at home, amusement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcbasIb8lQ
    Of course, what do I know with 40+ years of satisfaction. Now don't get me wrong. I try new brews ALL THE TIME. I love Guinness, Sam Adams, Fat Tire, Grain Belt Premium, Becks, Bass Ale, blah blah blah. Lighter the beer = colder it should be in my opinion, but that's my taste. That's why I keep the Bud at nearly freezing, and the Guinness is served cool in Ireland but not room temp.
    By the way, great subject matter and commentary here in these postings - just proves everyone is different and variety is the spice of life.
    I was gonna post it on my birthday, but didnt feel right with the number of sobriety posts at the time. Im glad i didnt upset anyone with this thread
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

So an update

tried:
    pbr
    blue moon
    guinness ,draight, lager, ale,
    boddingtons
    golden monkey
    prima pils
    yueingling
    stella atrois
    rolling rock
    budweiser
    and a few others i cant remember the name. Im hoping i have a chance during spring break to hit iron hill brewery in lancaster, and a few other micro brew places

Your young so you might as well try them all...6 pages over beer...what's this place coming too

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    Your young so you might as well try them all...6 pages over beer...what's this place coming too
    I feel after this thread, there will be a lull in the finished projects forum for a few weeks

Being from St. Louis Bud is the king here and two of my neighbors work there. They get free Bud. I advised them that I didn't consider Budweiser beer since it is made with rice so they didn't offer me any freebies which I would have declined anyway.

The best beer here in St. Louis is Schlafly's. They make several varieties but the Pale Ale is my favorite. It is a quality beer on a scale with the best micro breweries.

The best beer in the world-for my money- is Kolsch-brewed in Cologne, Germany. It is properly served on tap in a .2 liter glass. Smooth and flavorful and very fresh. It is the beer of Cologne and is served only in that area. They do bottle some but it isn't the same.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Anyone remember Falstaff, Hamms, or Burgermeister ( a cold Burgie!).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitlow View Post
    Anyone remember Falstaff, Hamms, or Burgermeister ( a cold Burgie!).
    Never heard of Burgermeister, I've heard of Falstaff, and I've had Hamm's--drink it very cold, so that you kill any taste that goat water has.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I like most beers - some more than others

Oskar Blues -I like Old Chub -best beer offered in a can
    Ive never had a bad beer by Sierra Nevada
    La fin du monde by Unibroue is excellent if you can find it
    Lagunitas makes some great beers