Thread: hollow form grain question

hollow form grain question

I see so many great hollow forms here Im going to try one but I have a question. If you are going to do a lower profile or more round hf what direction should the grain run? On a taller hf does the grain need to run from top to bottom?

Richard,
    Functionally, the grain direction doesn't matter. I feel like cross grain hollow forms are a bit more prone to catches because the grain goes from end grain to side grain twice with each revolution. Additionally, the shrinkage will cause more distortion on a cross grain form. However, I like the finished product better that direction. Tall forms like vases look better with spindle turning orientation. Choose the grain orientation based on how you want it to appear on the finished box. By the way, for your first few, make an opening large enough to easily work the inside. Hollow forms get lots more difficult as the hole gets smaller.
    faust

I agree with what Faust said and would like to add one thing. End grain hollow forms that include the pith tend to have cracks from the pith outward, these cracks are often not fatal to the piece but they can be an issue. I have much fewer crack problems with side grain hollow forms.

If you do side grain with the pith in, be sure to balance it on the sides and turn fairly thin and even. I have a rosewood piece I turned this way and while it is now football shaped, there is no cracking.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Richard - I think it really all depends on what you want the end product to look like. Think of curly maple, quarter-sawn oak, etc and how best to use the orientation to enhance the grain effect. Like Faust mentioned, it really doesn't matter what the orientation of the blank is. The only real issue to keep in mind is to maintain a consistent wall thickness.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!