Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood suggestions for park benches

Ipe decking often carries a 25 year warranty from some suppliers. It is super dense, naturally oily and is both rot and bug resistant. Super stiff and hard so its plenty durable. You could use regular 4/4 decking but might need to run a vertical rib under each slat to prevent sag in the middle. But it would be cheaper than going with a 6/4 or thicker board and pretty minimal extra work. Be sure to use stainless fasteners and pre-drill if you use it. Trex or other composite decking would need considerable structural support as it would sag badly with weight on it.

I am in MA too. I have done a few decks around here. I have used mahogany, ipe, and lately massaranduba. That last one is a Brazilian Redwood-or so I'm told. It works a little better than Ipe, is much cheaper, and will last about as long. It starts out a nice deep red, and will turn greyish over time. If you want to maintain the color you can stain it-but you need to get the right type of stain. Staining is nice is you like to keep that deep red color...but it is extra work. For a public set up like you are talking- going with letting it weather.

One other thing- when you cut any of these hard woods (especially Ipe and Massaranduba) you need to seal the ends. I use Anchor seal which is like a liquid wax. I recommend sealing as soon as you cut. If you don't seal it, they will split.

as for thickness - go for the true 1" thick stuff at least.

Check out Accoya: http://www.accoya.com/

You can get it here: http://www.rexlumber.com/

Been using this for exterior applications in Florida, a very tough environment for wood outdoors. So far so good. Manufacturer states its good for 50 years outside, 25 years buried in the ground. Been used in Europe with success for years....

Oh, and Black Locust. Used to use it for fence posts, but its beginning to gain popularity for woodworking. (would prefer the hedgeapple wood over the black locust even, but unlikely to get anything like that in these parts)