Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DAMP meeting, June 2012: Special Edition

Well I finally got a minute to gon the computer and check out the "DAMP" thread and as expected Mike did a great job of getting all the particulars listed in the post. So as this goes Mike and I have been on the phone with each other for more than a year now hammering out info on many things and as you all know Mike can't pass up a good deal on Craiglslist! In many of his purchases, extras that Mike had no use for ended up getting shipped to me as trade or for the "Bowl Beast" escrow account, so needless to say Mike has a way about him that hooked me deep on the building of the bowl lathe. He figured out fast that I have a hard time walking away from a new challenge, and this one was a big one and he knew how to bait me in! I have some other things to work on that should have been done weeks ago for my daughter and we had a big storm that damaged my house and fence a couple weeks ago so I have a bunch of repairs to do also. Then I will finish the rest of the little things for the "BEAST" so it can be put into service.

Once all these little finishing bits are done, I have a honey do list as long as my arm and my buddy and I have started building a firewood processor that we hope to put into use this fall........or it may just be wishful thinking on my part! Then to add to the work, pain and normal life we have 2 new grand babies on the way so that will add to my joy and life!

I will post some more later,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Great post! Looks like everyone had a good time....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I'm going next time....darn it! Both kids are graduated now so that can't get in the way any more. Sounds like a great time. Turning, camaraderie, food, drink, laughter, sharing of ideas. It doesn't get any better than that.
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Jeff, I've said it to you in person and on the phone a million times already, but I have to say it again...thank you, thank you, thank you. You built a beast of a machine. And taxed yourself in the process. Though, I'm sure you had a little fun... I look forward to your next post.

Thanks, Doug, we did!

Yeah, Mike, I was sad to hear you couldn't make it. Next time we'll have to work on making sure you can... And the only way it COULD have been better, is if we had more people! Though 7 of us were making some heat in my shop...didn't help that the AC took a dump toward the end of the day. I've got a new more powerful unit to put in...sitting in the middle of the floor right now...in the way.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Here are some pics of the NE maple burl that Keller, Peter, and I turned on Friday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.

If we do it again next year it may have to be moved to a larger venue! Or maybe a big tent set up with open air sides and lots of stuff to work on, maybe we could get some of the local tool dealers to to donate some stuff for the cause! Big dreams for a little mind, but it does not hurt to dream a little now and then.

Someone asked what size the spindle shaft is and the bearings, the shaft is 1.5" Stress Proof steel which is very nice to work with and machine and is a pretty standard product for this type of application. The bearings are made to handle radial and axial loads with a wide race and a longer collar with a set screw to hold them to the shaft. There is a threaded nut on the nose to preload the bearings just a little. Here are the specs for the bearings and as you can see the load capacities should handle what Mike tries to load on the "BOWL BEAST"!

Bearing Design
    Type
    Wide Inner Ring External Self Aligning

Application
    Agriculture; Automotive; Pump; Sporting and Consumer Goods; Construction, Manufacturing Equipment

Dimensions

Design Units
    Inch

Bore
    1.5000 inch

Outside Diameter
    3.1496 inch

Outer Ring Width
    0.8248 inch

Overall Width
    1.9370 inch

Load Ratings

Static Radial
    4100 lbs

Dynamic Radial
    6660 lbs

Rolling Element
    Steel

Seals / Shields
    Double Seal

Quality
    ABEC-1; ABEC-5

Lubrication
    Prelubricated; Relubricatable

Features
    Self-aligning; Snap Ring / Snap Ring Groove

Operating Temperature
    -40 to 250 F

Should keep Mike out of trouble for a while,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Pretty cool Jeff. I wasn't familiar with the wide inner ring bearing, but looks much better than the normal radial brgs most of us have in our lathes. I hope to see this in person sometime ...Especially after Mike has had a chance to put it through its paces.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Now THAT is info I couldn't have provided!

I hate to question you, Jeff, but I think the spindle is 2" stock, isn't it?

I asked Jeff to make the threads 1 1/2" x 8 tpi to match my PM90 and all the accessories that go with it. So, IIRC the spindle is 1 1/2" and the collar is 2". The bearings are simply massive...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Tim, I've been hard at work making the base/cabinet. One option was to get steel and have it all welded together. If Jeff were in my backyard, I'd probably have him do it, but seeing as how he isn't, while I still though about getting steel (at the scrap yard) and going that route, I've opted to go with doubled up 3/4" plywood. With trippled up 3/4" plywood for the top of the base. Honestly, it will be at least a month before she's up and running... But I'll keep plugging away.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Here are some pics of the AM HF that we all took turns on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.

11. That is nice Mike.........now........who gets to keep possession of that masterpiece?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, it will go to the National Kidney Foundation for one of their silent auctions.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for the report!! Had to pack a lunch just to get through the thread!! Sure looks like you guys had a bunch of fun!! Nice work on all the turnings!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Did I hear someone say "Big Tent"? Now that's right up my alley. I have them big enough for a couple hundred lathes and turners as well as a lunch room. Maybe Mike should start a yearly turning jam for anyone who wants to come.
    faust

I could have made it longer, Steve... Thought I would shorten it down for those with short attention spans. Actually, there was a LOT more than went on, or at least I could have elaborated a lot more on each "going on". I'm long winded and that was as short as I could make it...sorry.

Faust, I only have 200 amps run to my barn, so I AM limited! But let's talk!
    I drink, therefore I am.