Thread: New Grizzly 3hp cyclone or CL 2 hp Oneida.

New Grizzly 3hp cyclone or CL 2 hp Oneida.

I have been lusting after a cyclone for awhile now. I work out of my 3 car garage. Everything on wheels and stored on my 1/3 at night. I have 9" celings. I currently have a older Jet 3hp 1800 double bag DC. I was planning on getting the 3hp G0441 cyclone. This shows up. I will be looking at it on Sunday. I plann on probably only running one tool at a time. The asking price is $500. The filter is not hepa.
    5I85La5G83G63F13N8c3tc93adc1df0471ebc.jpg

assuming it is in running condition, get the oneida. i would, however, ask why he/she is selling it.....a sketchy answer may signal a problem. but, oneida makes first rate stuff.

That Oneida is relatively old (early 2000s)for a home shop cyclone. It might be worth contacting Oneida to find out if it will perform as well as current models, since there have reportedly been some major design improvements in recent years. If it does, I know which way I'd go!

I had this same Oneida model and it worked flawlessly. Design your runs correctly and you can work very well with two ports open at a time. Mine stayed in the shop when we moved otherwise I would still be using it. Replaced it with a used but never used Grizzly 2hp G0440 and I have found little if any functional differences. One point in Oneida's favor is that the motor is usually a better quality. I like Grizzly's wheeled/steel cannister better than the Oneida. You can always upgrade the older Oneida filter and still have a cost efffective purchase. IMHO, 3hp for a small one-man shop is unneccesary. I am in my 900 sq ft shop 5 - 6 hours a days and run with some fairly large machines and I am a very particular about cleanliness and order and I have never felt the need for a larger cyclone provided you size the runs/ports correcctly. It can be well worth the modest cost to have Oneida design your DC layout and I think they waive the fee if you buy your parts from them.

I think I have a slightly newer/different version of that system. Mine is painted white, got it around 2003 or so. The only gripe I have is that the drum gets filled too quickly and needs changing more frequently than I would like. If it's like mine, it will have a 7" inlet, that you can use as is or narrow down to 6" or more. 9' ceilings will be nice, because it's a little tall and is fairly cramped at standard ceiling heights

Also, Oneida's support is great if you ever need any help
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 03-31-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks for all of the replies. I got some good and bad feedback on both systems. I have decided to pass on the Oneida. There were some things that I was thrilled about it. I'll see if something else comes along.

I have a 2hp yellow super dust gorilla and love it. I found it on CL for 1000 without Hepa. Not an awesome deal; but it sure works great. What was all the 6" spiral pipe that came with it to make it worth it.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have been lusting after a cyclone for awhile now. I work out of my 3 car garage. Everything on wheels and stored on my 1/3 at night. I have 9" celings. I currently have a older Jet 3hp 1800 double bag DC. I was planning on getting the 3hp G0441 cyclone. This shows up. I will be looking at it on Sunday. I plann on probably only running one tool at a time. The asking price is $500. The filter is not hepa.
    What are you hoping to improve with the upgrade over your 2-bag 3HP Jet?

Blog Entries
    I have the 2HP Griz and would have had the 3HP if I could've shoe-horned it into the shop. The cost difference is a non-issue when averaged over the life of the machine. The 2HP does well. I really wanted better than "well"; I wanted frightening.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler