Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not exactly woodworking, but tips on buying Pressure Washer?

Not exactly woodworking, but tips on buying Pressure Washer?

I'm looking to drop $4-500 on a decent pressure washer.

Right now I got my sight set on a B&S Elite Series that's 3,000psi and 2.8gpm or a Simpson Megashot that's 3,100psi and 2.5gpm.

Differences are the Simpson is about $70 more ($508 vs $440). The Simpson has a Brass Axial Cam pump vs. "Heavy duty" axial cam pump for the B&S. I'd like to know what the heck that means. Anyone know?

I'm tempted to get a CAT pump like Ridgid's but even those have just above average ratings. Nothing spectacular either.

Thoughts?

I was more worried about the engine than the pump, probably illustrates how much I know. But, at one time, Sam's Club was selling some brand of pressure washer that had a Honda engine. I don't know anything specifically about that machine, but my old Honda push mower just won't die. I've had it not start exactly one time on the first pull (then it took two pulls, but it had been sitting for most of a year).

I have one with a Honda one it. Can't remember the model but it has been tough as nails for years. Best advice I can give is to blow it out and treat the pump EVERY year at the end of the season. Lowes has the stuff in a can. It will prevent ice and oil the pump. You just hook it to the input side and hit the button. Make sure you aren't in the line of fire of the output side when you do it. The oil/anti-freeze mix is ejected at mach 3 when the pump is full....DAMHIKT!

I have one of the Husky brand with the Honda motor and a pot metal pump. The pump is junk and gave out after 1 1/2 years. Now I have a nice little Honda motor I dont need. I now rent a pressure washer at the local rental for $35.00.

AZCRAIG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Lee View Post
    I'm looking to drop $4-500 on a decent pressure washer.

Right now I got my sight set on a B&S Elite Series that's 3,000psi and 2.8gpm or a Simpson Megashot that's 3,100psi and 2.5gpm.

Differences are the Simpson is about $70 more ($508 vs $440). The Simpson has a Brass Axial Cam pump vs. "Heavy duty" axial cam pump for the B&S. I'd like to know what the heck that means. Anyone know?

I'm tempted to get a CAT pump like Ridgid's but even those have just above average ratings. Nothing spectacular either.

Thoughts?
    I would look @ the Maxus line of pressure washers; they are CH's better line of equipment. You should be able to get a good pump/engine combo for $500.

Blog Entries
    One more thing: make sure you've budgeted for various tips, wands, heads, etc. Some common items:
    - loop for cleaning gutters
    - extension for cleaning gutters
    - driveway nozzle (a wide bar with multiple nozzles)
    - car / RV brushes
    - straight tip (for shooting a stream of water; good for high windows)
    - various soaps

My next pressure washer will have a Honda engine and a Cat pump, and also be a belt drive. But that will be well above your price range indicated.
    The two main considerations in a pressure washer are the engine and the pump. Be sure to remove all water from the system before winter storage, or you could have something break (freeze).

I bought a Karcher with a A-R pump 10-12 years ago. It still works ok, but when I eventually upgrade it will be as above. Reason for the belt drive is it doesn't need much feed pressure at all to use. I may want to take it to our cabin where I could feed it from a water container (un-pressurized).

Here's a link to help you decide (and probably help spend money too!). No affiliation, just some reading material that might be helpful.
    http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/howtoselect.php
    or if you really want some in-depth reading
    http://www.the-power-washer-advisor.com/
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 02-24-2012 at 3:51 PM. Reason: added link(s)

Blog Entries
    Have you looked at Northern Tool yet? They have a pretty big selection of pressure washers at reasonable prices. Somebody mentioned that they were focused about the engine and not the pump. That is a huge mistake! The pump is the most important thing. The engine is somewhat important, but not nearly as important as the pump.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Don't know or care about brands. Just be aware that if you pressure wash your house you are forcing water into the structure (a bad idea) and if you pressure wash you composition roof you are dramatically shortening its lifespan.

I have the Simpson that I used for my business and would get another if that one went bad. I have had it for 22 years now.

First is Honda GX engine 6.5hp or higher, next is pump, order of preference 1 Cat 2 General 3 A/R 4 Comet. Higher water gpms is better. (My machines use 5.5 gpm and are 13 hp electric start but I use them everyday as a power washing business.) Who ever puts unit together does not matter as long as they use good parts.

I have one with a Honda engine and it has run great for 5+ years. My brother had the same one and did not service it routinely and then asked if I had any problems with mine as his would not start.

Remember that you need to service it every year and when you put it away for winter. It takes the normal engine routine of changing oil, cleaning and whatever the manual says. In addition, I run the recommended stuff through the pump which lubricates it.

As with most of the tools discussed on this forum, this one can be very dangerous to you and to anything that you use it on. I can drill a hole through wood and through a part of your body.

Things I have learned about pressure washers.

The pumps on the cheaper pressure washers are only rated for a 50 hr life span.(read this on the web looking for replacement pumps. http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts...t/RMW2.2G24-EZ ) If you go this route, no reason to spend the extra money on a Honda engine. Only the more expensive units ($700 +) have good pumps ( CAT for example)
    If you read reviews you will see a ton like "Worked great last fall, but won't work now this spring" this is because people do not use pump saver (antifreeze) over the winter. The water in the pump freezes and makes them useless.
    I have a friend who works at a Lawn Equipment store. He says that is all they see in the spring.

I purchased a $300 gas unit. It works well because I only use it in the spring and fall for patio furniture cleaning and the like. About 4 hrs a year. But If I would have know the 50 hr pump life I am not sure I would have purchased it. With my use it should last 10-12 years but If a big project came up?????? Just think if you were using it at your job, it is only designed to last a week or 2.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 02-24-2012 at 9:10 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    My next pressure washer will have a Honda engine and a Cat pump, and also be a belt drive. But that will be well above your price range indicated.
    The two main considerations in a pressure washer are the engine and the pump. Be sure to remove all water from the system before winter storage, or you could have something break (freeze).

I bought a Karcher with a A-R pump 10-12 years ago. It still works ok, but when I eventually upgrade it will be as above. Reason for the belt drive is it doesn't need much feed pressure at all to use. I may want to take it to our cabin where I could feed it from a water container (un-pressurized).

Here's a link to help you decide (and probably help spend money too!). No affiliation, just some reading material that might be helpful.
    http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/howtoselect.php
    or if you really want some in-depth reading
    http://www.the-power-washer-advisor.com/
    thanks for the links Rick...very good info...yeah i'd love a cat pump, but def expensive...and i'm not quite a prosumer, but more handy then the average guy and just don't want to spend $300 on a ok washer, then realize 2 yrs later that i would have gotten more work done if i wouldda spent an extra $150 or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Alkins View Post
    First is Honda GX engine 6.5hp or higher, next is pump, order of preference 1 Cat 2 General 3 A/R 4 Comet. Higher water gpms is better. (My machines use 5.5 gpm and are 13 hp electric start but I use them everyday as a power washing business.) Who ever puts unit together does not matter as long as they use good parts.
    That sounds very good Randy, probably a tad rich for my blood tho lol

i'd love to get one with a CAT pump, but it looks like these usually start at $700+, that's if you can even find one at that price...

I wouldn't get hung up on a Cat pump per se, but I would try to get the best pump/engine combo for the money you are willing to spend. General and A-R pumps are fine, it really depends on the usage and the composition of the pump. Don't feel you need to spend $800 or more for a reasonable home usage of a pressure washer.I just wanted to give you some info. The one I have had now for about ten years or so still works ok and I didn't really take care of it at all (shame on me). It was about $800 I think. It's been mostly a home use washer and mainly for my triaxle dump truck. I don't really need to get a pro model the next time but I expect now to only ever buy one more. (sorry about the italics, I hit a key and don't know how to go back!)