Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reminder! Keep A Close Eye On The Laser!

yeah.. the Montreal Protocol banned all that stuff. There's a replacement
    for 1211 called Halotron, but it doesn't work as well. The military still
    uses halon, though. And some airlines still use it. Halon 1211 can be
    reclaimed so it isn't totally gone, but new manufacture is banned. The
    main reason for using it is that it is covalently bonded (shared valence
    electrons) so it is non conductive. Won't fry your laser if you discharge
    it on the main board. And you won't spend weeks trying to clean white
    or purple powder out of the chip sockets

if you use enough air assist , you should have no flare ups - the air jet should dissipate the flammable gasses etc and be strong enough to put the fire out. Only time I ever seen air assist be a hinderance in that respect was where I was cutting 6mm marine ply and it started smouldering and the air assist acted as a great "bellows"
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

When you have a lot of cuts close together, there is a lot more air available for flareup. Try applying transfer tape to the top surface, then mist with water prior to cutting.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

We cut acrylic either 1/8 or 1/4 all day every day. We have the air assist cranked way up. So far in the 3 years I have been here, we've had 1 fire. When we see falre ups increasing we just replace the grid. Can't find a single thing that will clean the fragile honeycombs with any amount of sucess. When I finally get around to building the pin table for our unit, I will keep an eye on flare ups and report back whether or not we see a decrease in the number of flare ups.

Thanks all for your comments. Good reminder about cleaning the grid, I haven't done it in about a month and I do mostly acrylic. The air assist I have going at 30PSI which is Epilogs recommendation. Don't know if I can go over that and risk blowing something out in the machine.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

I cut a lot of coconut shell (burns great!) as well as acrylic and found that it helped to rearrange cutting order, separating the parts of complicated cuts. Yes, it is less efficient, but I get less burning and fewer pieces messed up. I break long complicated cuts (esp. those real close together) into separate pieces so that I get a partial cut, then the laser zips over to another place, then back to finish the first cut. This way the "dwell time" for any small area is minimized and charring/flare-ups are greatly reduced.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    I cut a lot of coconut shell (burns great!) as well as acrylic and found that it helped to rearrange cutting order, separating the parts of complicated cuts. Yes, it is less efficient, but I get less burning and fewer pieces messed up. I break long complicated cuts (esp. those real close together) into separate pieces so that I get a partial cut, then the laser zips over to another place, then back to finish the first cut. This way the "dwell time" for any small area is minimized and charring/flare-ups are greatly reduced.
    Excellent idea! Maybe less efficient, but better than having a fire or me having to stand over the laser and watch instead of doing something else.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Try manually holding a air gun pointing at the current cut I have done this on a few jobs where had alot of parts nested together close enough they would flare.. Air gun fixed it can be boring though ! lol .
    Xenetech 13x25 40W, Corel X4, Adobe CS3, Photograv 3, Xenetech Xot 13 x 13 Rotary