Thread: Modern Chair V1

Modern Chair V1

IMG_0436.jpgIMG_0438.jpgIMG_0440.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0443.jpgHere's a prototype of a modern sling chair that I made. It's poplar as I wanted to test the chair before using better wood. I copied the angle of seat to back and basic structure from an old canvas chair that was very comfortable -- this one is too. Thoughts & suggestions welcome. PS I know this is not everyone's cup of tea! Sorry about the sideways photos.
    Last edited by Joel Goodman; 08-12-2011 at 2:05 PM.

I like this a lot. It's kind of a cross between a director's chair and a Morris.

Tom

Nice design. I can see some Danish Modern influences there. I even like the use of Poplar if you are seeking a light-toned wood. I would'nt change a thing.

Thanks guys. I keep wondering if for example the arms were curved (still flat on top) would it still be modern but less boxy? Through tenons with wedges for the joinery? Or am I just trying to guild the lily?

I'm typically all for wedged through-tenons, but don't think they are necessary for this. I might be more inclined towards the curved arms, but again don't think that is necessary.

Perhaps you could make the arms non-horizontal -- lower at the rear than at the front, but not as much as the seat. That might reduce the boxiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Perhaps you could make the arms non-horizontal -- lower at the rear than at the front, but not as much as the seat. That might reduce the boxiness.
    That's an interesting idea!!