Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED light base for desk name plate

LED light base for desk name plate

I got some LED bases from Jim Good and made these desk name plates. I think they will be good sellers for me.
    angie.jpgKiley.jpgshane.jpgroad dawg.jpgIsham.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    John Richards
    LaserDudeJohn
    Hastings, MI
    Explorer II 30 watt
    Epilog mini 25 watt
    Corel X6, Photoshop CS6

Good job, John - you managed to get the big areas even, which was always a possible problem. Did you use the 80% black on those fat letters?

I hope you sell a lot of them!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Hey John,
    Nice work and I like that you added a graphic to it also. Nice touch of making it as part of the cut out.

I have a few ?'s for you.
    How long does it take for you to engrave and cut each name plate?
    Have you thought about rounding the corners?
    What are you thinking of charging for them?
    Do you include the AC adapter? Do you include batteries?

I did a job for a bank and charged 15.00 each and 20.00 if they wanted the AC adapter. My setup/engraving/cutting time was always under 6 minutes. So it was reasonably profitable but even better is that each of those pcs became free advertising also.

Like Tom "Buzz" @ laserBuzz likes to promote... "You have to give to get" and here's how this one worked. One of my helper's wife works at the bank and they asked if I could make one for her. So I did and everyone at the bank got to see it and several ordered some also. I did not have to deal with any of them since my helper's wife collected all the names and $. So that's one way of marketing them.
    Hope you do well and ...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I did not try the 80% black, they came out nice at 100% black. I will give it a try to see if there is a difference.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    John Richards
    LaserDudeJohn
    Hastings, MI
    Explorer II 30 watt
    Epilog mini 25 watt
    Corel X6, Photoshop CS6

Michael,

to answer your ?'s:
    1. It takes about 2 minutes to cut and engrave, to step process for me, cut first then raster.
    2. Thought about it, but customer wanted them square.
    3. I got $25.00 for each without batteries or adapter. I offered adapter for additional $5.00 and they did not want them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    John Richards
    LaserDudeJohn
    Hastings, MI
    Explorer II 30 watt
    Epilog mini 25 watt
    Corel X6, Photoshop CS6

John
    Great job, I have done several sign like those.
    My process is a little different
    1. I mask off the front side of the sign (the side that goes face down on the table) using that blue painters tape
    2. I raster the backside of the sign.
    3. then I cut the sign out.
    ACPA Dan Ramos.jpg
    Bob Heltibridle
    Epilog Helix 24, 40w
    Lagecy Maverick (on order)
    CorelDraw x4, Adobe PhotoShop, Aspire,
    Table saw, Radial Arm saw, Jointer, Planner
    Band saw, Shaper
    Horses

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries
    John,

What did the bases cost (with adapters)? And where can I order some?

Ron Thompson
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0

Hi John,

Nice work.
    One question though - what is causing the little wispy marks which are appearing at the top and sometimes the bottom of each letter ?

Paul.

That looks like reflection from the top of the letters, I'm sure that it's not visible when view directly on, that picture has been taken with an angle visible.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Thompson View Post
    John,

What did the bases cost (with adapters)? And where can I order some?

Ron Thompson
    Jim Good, a creek member, sells these for $3.00 each and adapters for $2.00 each.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    John Richards
    LaserDudeJohn
    Hastings, MI
    Explorer II 30 watt
    Epilog mini 25 watt
    Corel X6, Photoshop CS6

Quote Originally Posted by paul mott View Post
    Hi John,

Nice work.
    One question though - what is causing the little wispy marks which are appearing at the top and sometimes the bottom of each letter ?

Paul.
    Frank is correct, looking at them they are not visable, it is the angle of the camera shot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    John Richards
    LaserDudeJohn
    Hastings, MI
    Explorer II 30 watt
    Epilog mini 25 watt
    Corel X6, Photoshop CS6

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries
    John,
    I did send a private message to Jim requesting prices but his box is full. So I'm unable to contact him.
    Do you have another way that I can contact him?

Thanks .... Ron Thompson
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Thompson View Post
    John,
    I did send a private message to Jim requesting prices but his box is full. So I'm unable to contact him.
    Do you have another way that I can contact him?

Thanks .... Ron Thompson
    I email him at jim dot good at a2zengraving dot com
    It may take a day or two but he will get back to you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    John Richards
    LaserDudeJohn
    Hastings, MI
    Explorer II 30 watt
    Epilog mini 25 watt
    Corel X6, Photoshop CS6

4-29 update
    It may be more days if you're just now emailing him like me as Jim has been affected by recent storms

You're in our thoughts Jim
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Guys,

I am back online! We got our power back late last night and my internet connection came back today. Spent the day cleaning out refrigerators and stocking them back up.

Wow, the damage is everywhere. Some of the gas stations are now opening back for business. That's good. We still have a dusk-til-dawn curfew because of the knuckleheads that are looting houses and businesses. That is SO tacky.

I appreciate all the well-wishes. We consider ourselves very lucky. For some reason the storms left our house alone but damage existed on our street, neighborhood, and definitely in our region. Many people lost their entire house and there was no debris left. Just a clean area where a house once existed. I can't imagine being in that house during the storm. With over 300 deaths, I'm hoping my friends will not be among that total.

I've got some boxes going out tomorrow (Tuesday). I'm sorry for the delay. I know the post office is open so they will go out.

For those requesting info, that will go out this evening. The kids are asleep so I have some time now!!! My kids used the glowboards for their night lite when we didn't have power. They worked great! Now with power, I'll plug them into the wall and keep using them.

Thanks again for the kind words and the patience. My family is safe so now I can devote some time to my Creek family!

Jim