Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a jointer

Using a jointer

Is it always necessary to run boards through a jointer before gluing up? If they are planed smooth and line up square without gaps, should they still be run through a jointer?

Thanks!

I made some very nice table tops long before I bought a jointer.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

It is not necessary. Just one good way to do it. I have used a table saw with a great blade and I've used a #7 Plane. Both worked well.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I genuinely do NOT mean this to sound snarky or sarcastic, but ... it's only necessary if it's necessary.

In other words, if you hold two ripped boards, edge to edge, against a bright light source, and can see NO light where the edges meet, then ... glue 'em up !

But ... not all table saws, with not all blades, leave a glue-line edge, so ... sometimes it really IS a necessity.

For others (like me), it's just so much of a habit that it'd be harder for me to STOP jointing the edges than it would to keep right on going

What they said: If you can get a gap-free fit (top and bottom), with either hand pressure or clamps, then you're good to go.

I'm like Neil; I always jointed my edges maybe as much out of habit as anything, but I do think I got cleaner edges from the jointer than from my saw.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 11-02-2010 at 5:38 PM.

I rarely joint my edges off the table saw. The jointer is used on my end to make one rough sawn board side straight and flat. Then to make twisted boards,etc... flat. I've had good luck with a glueline rip blade and find no need for a jointer in those cases.

I've had good luck with my Freud glue line rip blade. If your blade leaves some machining marks, the jointer is a quick way to get rid of them...

Think the other guy had the right of it, if you need it then you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Arney View Post
    Is it always necessary to run boards through a jointer before gluing up? If they are planed smooth and line up square without gaps, should they still be run through a jointer?

Thanks!
    Nope, but a really good trick is to lay out the boards as if you were going to glue them up, then take the boards, two at a time, fold them like a book, and run them through the jointer together, or the tablesaw.
    This gives you two edges that are the compliment of each other, and the glue up may go a little easier.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Nope, but a really good trick is to lay out the boards as if you were going to glue them up, then take the boards, two at a time, fold them like a book, and run them through the jointer together, or the tablesaw.
    This gives you two edges that are the compliment of each other, and the glue up may go a little easier.
    Good idea... Thanks!

Thank you for all the input. As usual, common sense is the key...

Blog Entries
    Late to the party but, if the board face is well prepared and the edge is smooth, straight and perpendicular (unless the design call for something else) I just glue them up. If I have ripped the edge on the table saw, they come off ready for glue up. If I rip them by hand or on the bandsaw, I edge joint.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use a glue-line rip blade. Never have needed to use a jointer.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I use a glue-line rip blade. Never have needed to use a jointer.
    Slight tangent, but .... even for face jointing rough sawn lumber ?

Edge Jointing Two at a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I seem to be missing something about this explanation. If the jointing operation should leave a defect, such as a bow in the two boards, the mismatch when re-bookmarking them together would be magnified by a factor of two. At least this is what seems to appear when I picture the technique in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by David Winer View Post
    I seem to be missing something about this explanation. If the jointing operation should leave a defect, such as a bow in the two boards, the mismatch when re-bookmarking them together would be magnified by a factor of two. At least this is what seems to appear when I picture the technique in my mind.
    My take: there would be some risk of that, but it would be a fraction of the time.

The rest of the time, you'd be saving time, and getting that slight bit of additional insurance that your jointing was identical, between the two boards you're gluing.