Thread: BLO question

BLO question

I just completed a small bowl of dried butternut that had a great pattern of insect holes. The wood was a little darker than green butternut. I hear you guys talk that BLO really makes the grain pop so I decided to try it. It did bring out the grain but the end grain really soaked it in and darkened it to the color of walnut. It did not look nice. Is it typical for BLO to darken the wood to that extent. The BLO I had has been around for a couple of years but did not appear to be darkened from age. Any ideas?

BLO will darken the wood and the effect is increased on end grain, especially on wood with open pores like butternut.

Richard, the endgrain will lighten a little over a few days. And, you could resand the endgrain at this point, as well. That will relieve some of the darkening.

Ditto what John said. It will lighten but only slight is my experience. The end grain unless you sand it will remain fairly dark.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

End grain will bend over and show dark

Richard, On the butternut, the wood is pretty soft and the end grain will compress if not cut cleanly or be bent over during turning. Either it needs to be sanded out like John said or a sharper tool for the last few cuts. If you feel like it or have the time stop over and I can give you some pointers on how to remedy the issue. I have turned tons of the same wormy wood.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown